Program to produce single line diagrams?

HI

I am looking for an easy to use program that can produce single line diagrams. We need to submit these to the LDC when we put in an application to connect. It used to be that they would only need a single line drawing when we were ready to install but the process has changed and the LDC now needs a SLD at the start of the process. Our electriction would produce and submit these before but we need to do them ourselves as these applications may not turn into jobs, so we don't want our electriction wasting his time on our paperwork.

Thanks

Comments

• GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Program to produce single line diagrams?

Visio works for me.

GP
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

Google Sketchup in Engineering space works well for that, and it's free.
  • mr.radon
    mr.radon Solar Expert Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used Power Point. Worked, took longer but worked.
  • ggunn
    mr.radon wrote: »
    I used Power Point. Worked, took longer but worked.

I did that a couple of times. It's like trying to change a tire with a screwdriver - the wrong tool for the job.
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's all depend on how familiar you are with the tool. For simple one-line, even paint-brush works for me - lines, circles/ovals, rectangles, text - that's all you need to use.

GP
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

I'm not sure how much I recommend it, but I use SuperCAD by Mentala.com. A schematic oriented system which makes solar drawings easily. About $250 I think.
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Dia is a "simple" Visio clone for Linux and Windows.

http://live.gnome.org/Dia/Links

Windows port: http://dia-installer.de/
  • ggunn
    It's all depend on how familiar you are with the tool. For simple one-line, even paint-brush works for me - lines, circles/ovals, rectangles, text - that's all you need to use.

GP
    Nevertheless, Google Sketchup, a free program, is a much better alternative, IMO.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Drawing from the Open Office suit.
    Here is a sample:
  • ggunn

Here's a sample in Google SketchUp/LayOut.
  • mr.radon
    mr.radon Solar Expert Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know google sketchup did line drawings! I used this to do shading analysis, i'll have to look into that.
    I use Pro-Diagram at work, but that is overkill for what the utilities need/L&I needed for the permit.
    Power Point took me all of 30 minutes. Wish i had Visio.
  • HTG PVinPA
    HTG PVinPA Registered Users Posts: 16

Smart Draw works well. Not free. They have templates and symbols. If your doing quite a few a year it will pay for the time saved. Cost is $197. You can download it for 6 days and try it out. I used it for a solar hot water install and it worked well. I plan to purchase it.
  • HTG PVinPA
    HTG PVinPA Registered Users Posts: 16

Well, I thought I attached a pdf to my reply, but it isn't showing up. I clicked on the paperclip and it said it uploaded so I closed the window. But, don't see any attachment.

I tried.
  • SolarDesignTool
    SolarDesignTool Registered Users Posts: 1
    You can generate a single-line diagram using SolarDesignTool in a few minutes. It will generate a PDF, DWG, and DXF as an 8.5 X 11 or 11 X 17.

It supports residential size systems -- two or fewer string inverters (single or multi-MPPT), inverters with optimizers (such as SolarEdge), microinverters, and AC modules. You can't use it for commercial size systems.

Here's a link to a page that describes the feature. http://get.solardesigntool.com/features/single-line-diagrams/

Disclaimer: I am the founder of the company and helped develop this feature.

• rahulio25
    rahulio25 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Disclaimer: I work for Aurora Solar

If you're in the solar industry and looking to create single-line diagrams, you should check out Aurora Solar. Our tool does a lot more than just single-line diagrams and you can find a more in-depth answer on what Aurora can do here: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-software-for-modelling-a-PV-system
  • RunninThruLife
    RunninThruLife Registered Users Posts: 1

Aeries CARS (Cable and Raceway Systems) (www.aeriescars.com ) does a good job with Single Line diagrams using the LoadMatic software.

The software comes with pre-defined CAD blocks to save you some time on your end... it's much less time consuming to tweek than it is to create, but you can use your own if you already have them defined... you just have to add the attributes where appropriate.

With the blocks attributed accordingly, anything you enter in the spreadsheet is output into a drawing format for you (2015-2021)... the best part, you only have to change it in one spread sheet to update all of your drawings; it's amazingly simple.

It does other stuff too, like raceway modeling, cable routing, and revision control, but those are handled with other software modules in the suite. It's the LoadMatic software that's built for single line diagrams.

Source: Former User, Current Developer

• zozomike
    zozomike Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how involved you wish to be, but an easy freebie is Paint.net. Quite capable and robust. lines, shapes, colors etc. Began as a grad school build on MS paint, became quite capable. 

Off grid, all solar, passive and active (winter wood heat supplements) PV DHW.

Array 1-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Array 2-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Well array 780w, 6 Kyocera 130 w with Grundfos sqflex 11 and cu200 to elevated storage, ( 2- 330 g tanks,) no battery storage at well

10 24 volt Battle Born Lithiums

Outback Flexpower Two, VFXR 3524A 7kw