Install frame work

rnjpinz
rnjpinz Registered Users Posts: 5
I am getting ready to install my 2 Kyocera 135s on my boat. I am making a frame make of aluminum tubing to support the brackets. My 2 panels together measure 52.6"wide x 59.1" long. My plans are to make the frame 52.6" wide x 40" long. This means the panels will hang over the frame 10" on the top and 10" on the bottom.

My question is this:
Will enough of the panels be panel be supported with 10" hanging off the each end?

Bob

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Install frame work

That should be fine if they don't get snagged.

Also, your framework must not allow the panels to twist/flex as they are just 1/8" tempered glass and their own frame work is not designed to provide resistance against twisting/flexing of the mounting frame.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that depends too on how large those waves are.:roll::p
  • rnjpinz
    rnjpinz Registered Users Posts: 5

The frame work I am building is tubular aluminum. Pretty strong stuff. My frame work will support 2 panels. Can I butt the 2 panels together or should I leave a space for expansion.

Bob
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

most pvs do not butt up against one another and i don't think 2 butted against one another will pose a problem as long as nothing is preventing the expansion in other directions. if you are in doubt you could put a small spacing between the pvs and may only need to be as thick as that of a match from the cardboard flat side of it and not the match head. then again a quarter of an inch is easily done even though the materials will never expand to that expanse. err on the caution side and leave a small space imo.
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    rnjpinz wrote: »
    I am getting ready to install my 2 Kyocera 135s on my boat. I am making a frame make of aluminum tubing to support the brackets. My 2 panels together measure 52.6"wide x 59.1" long. My plans are to make the frame 52.6" wide x 40" long. This means the panels will hang over the frame 10" on the top and 10" on the bottom.

My question is this:
    Will enough of the panels be panel be supported with 10" hanging off the each end?

Bob

Most panels have predrilled mounting holes. As long as you support the panel at these holes it will be fine.
    According to http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/KD135GX-LPU.pdf
    The holes on the KD135GX-LP are 11" in from the ends on the long sides, so your plan should be fine. FWIW the mounting holes on the long sides are 37.2" apart so you might want to make your frame to match.

I'd leave a 1/4" gap between the panels, but then I'm paranoid. I can't see how it would hurt anything and it might help.