Off-grid when the grid is available?

Options
2»

Comments

• SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Off-grid when the grid is available?
    techntrek wrote: »
    Hey, get out of my head! ;)

In hindsight I wish I hadn't spent the money I spent on a genset and had put it towards solar 6 years ago. I have since installed a large battery bank + inverter to hold me overnight and during the day (same reasons as the 2nd part of your post, plus add "lack of noise so I can sleep at night" to the list), so all I'm lacking is the PV anyway.

Sorry Techntrek. I thought it was crowed in here..:p

I like your setup, how it pairs battery, charger and generator. I see the problem of bringing the batteries back up to full SOC every couple days without the extended running of the generator during the Absorb stage. All that fuel for very little return except to extend the battery life.

Going RE for essentials has never before made so much sense as it does today.

Yes even off-grid with grid available..... So to all that may think a battery bank (and the cost of it) is omitted from a sustainable generator based backup system I think you may want to revisit this logic.

Question: What is the cost benefit of a free flowing electron during an outage.

What is one killowatt worth then?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    sorry, I didn't know that stating a world fact was political.

Fact: Sadat was murdered
    Fact: Mubarak was overthrown
    Fact: Ripple effect through-out the East has been witnessed
    Fact: Oil Futures do influence the price of gas to consumers

None of this is speculation, opinions, or analysis (ie-politics).

Yes they are facts. Political facts.

A less subtle message to everyone: drop it.

Keep the thread on topic and off politics.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Some people just use too much power anyway. :p

I've lived off-grid with no electricity at all. Not even batteries for flashlights. At the opposite end, I've also lived in an all-electric house. Both are extremes to the point of absurdity.

If your power needs are small (as they should be) then solar can be a viable alternative to generator back-up or even full-time grid. It's when you try to install solar to back-up a 48 kW house for the occasional one or two hour outage per year that you are wasting money.

Back-up systems are also highly site-specific, just like solar. But in the majority of cases they do not make economic sense when grid is available.
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options

I agree on economic sense when things are stabile. Never had much of that economic sense anywho...:p

One thing is for certain though, the sun will rise in the morning. If not this one then the next one etc... Fossil fuels are up again down again and at best they are a priveledge not a certainty.

48KW house?!! Man that's living!
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Fully understand, 'coot. I have no problem backpacking up in the mountains with only a led pinch-light and my watch as working technology. And trying to power 40 kw per day would be nuts (unless someone won the lottery), I'm just looking to do about 3 kw per day of load off-grid. The rest would stay on-grid.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

make sure you are using terminology properly. a kw takes on a whole new meaning when it is meant as a kwh. the 2 really are not the same thing.