How far away can my panels be from the Meter for a grid tied system?

Options
rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
How far away can my panels be from the Meter for a grid tied system?

I plan on putting around 20 pv panels up and the best place would be around 200 feet away, but I could put them closer, perhaps 50 feet away. The problem wtih the spot 50 feet away is the ground is not even and I'd have to get some cement blocks or other leveling devices to put the panels on .

Also can the inverter be mounted outside? It looks like delicate electronics. I'm guessing I'll have to run wire inside for the inverter and then back outside to the meter?

Thanks Rolland

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: How far away can my panels be from the Meter for a grid tied system?

Inverters can be mounted outside--but Protecting them from direct rain and sun is not a bad idea.

The bigger issue is there is a limited range of allowed electrical output voltage from the inverter (around 212 to 264 VAC for a 240 volt nominal circuit).

If, for example, your utility power averages upwards of 250-255 volts at times during the day--It is possible that a GT inverter mounted a few hundred feet from the home could have 7 or more volt "rise" (remember, the GT inverter is generating power/current so there is voltage rise in the wiring)...

It is possible that the inverter will go into a 5 minute shutdown if the line voltage exceeds ~264 volts +/- in those conditions.

You can limit the voltage drop by using heavy gauge electrical cable--but that can get expensive pretty quickly.

For such an installation, it is better to mount the GT inverter near the main electrical panel, and run the solar array DC wiring to the GT inverter instead.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset