L series inquiry

I have 76 L series panels...each has 40 cells and the overall dimension is 17.5x42 inches...the output tested @21.6 to 22.6 vdc....no mdl number just a serial number that begins with an L-0725191...I bought these along with the 8514500 solarex panels @ TVA auction in the 1980's and stored....these may be solarex as well...each has a junction box on the back with a bypass diode....any spec info would be appreciated...thanks...Joe.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: L series inquiry

joe,
    i do wish you luck in your endeavor to find out what you actually have, but i will ask that if you have any more pvs to research that you should get them all out here rather than creating a new thread for each of them. in the search for one they may spot the info for another. you may even get lucky and find paperwork on the items you bought long ago. speaking of buying, where did you buy these pvs?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

By the way, 8514500 looks more like a date code (1985, 14th week)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

maybe not bill as many of the model numbers were like 72,250 or similar and that looks much like those model numbers with 2 additional 0s added. this may be a differentiating indicator on the same models that were made, but after the bp takeover of solarex. i'm guessing with this though.
  • popajoe
    popajoe Registered Users Posts: 17

Sorry if I did it the incorrect way...kinda new to this and wasn't sure if I should post this inquiry with the other or create a new one...As I said previously, I bought all these at a TVA auction after they were mandated to get out of solar...and though I may be wearing your nerves a bit, I just need to know their capabilities since I decided to go ahead and try to use them....thanks...Joe.
  • niel

joe,
    it's not that you did something incorrect, but it would be to your advantage to get them all out in one post.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

If you test these panels, perhaps your best bet would be to just eBay them, take the cash and buy late model new stuff. Stuff goes for "unruly" prices on eBay so you may make out quite well and solve the problem all at once.
  • popajoe

You must realize that when I bought these they weren't so old and inefficient (as compared to the newer ones of today) and I doubt that I could break even on ebay.......... I posted my inquiries in an effort to acquire specific technical information if said technical information is available or known to be available by someone on this forum.....I guess I will just have to do the best I can with what I have and hope for the best...thanks.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think anyone is trying to discourage you from using these panels because they are inefficient. I think the major concern is getting grid tie approval with panels of unknown specs. I agree that you have a ton of PV and should be able to build a great system if you can convince the permit authorities and the utility.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Tony

PS You might contact BP solar since they are the successor company to Solarex.

T
  • BB.

I found specs. for a SolareX MXS 60:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MSX-60 MSX-64 PDF Spec sheet[/FONT]

Pmax @ STC 60 W
    Pmax @ PTC 54 W
    Vmp at Pmax 17.1 V
    Imp at Pmax 3.5 A
    Voc @ STC 21.1 V
    Voltage change -80 mV/C

Here is a page with a bunch of SolareX modules and dimensions.

I could not find any that matched the dimensions that you gave...

-Bill

PS: Here is a text listing of a whole bunch of SolareX panels (electrical and LxW dimensions).
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • popajoe

Tony, I sure intend to put them to work ...one way or the other...either grid tie or with batteries. Bill, thanks for the information that may be helpful. Joe.
  • niel

there is no evidence they are ul or any other certification and as such they would not be allowed to be in a gt setup. you can still use them in an off grid battery charging application, but you will need to determine the approximate output of the pvs to know if they suit the battery charge requirements. with so many pvs i'm sure you'll more than have the charge parameters covered.
  • popajoe

Niel, are you implying that an entity such as TVA would use panels that are not UL certified? As I said in a previous post, TVA was using part if not all of the ones that I have inquired about here on this forum...Anyway, I think that I will contact TVA and see if I can talk to a someone and might just get lucky with some information...thanks...Joe.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I suspect that the TVA probably doesn't care if a item is UL listed or not. The carry their own liability. UL is largely for use in residential and commercial installations where a permit authority needs some documentation for installation. Industrial/utility applications are probably not so concerned with UL/CSA per se.
  • BB.

The utility may very well have that right to avoid NRTL listed panels. They probably used their own engineers/inspectors on the projects who can sign off on pretty much anything they want.

Also, way back then (assuming these panels are 15+ years old)--there may not have been any NRTL requirement in the first place as GT Solar was still in the experimental stage.

My 5 year old inverter already would not be legal to install in a new installation (it does not monitor the neutral leg voltage--A fairly useless requirement as far as GT inverter safety goes as it does not use the neutral--Having a live/hot/floating neutral in the home, in general, is a bad thing--you will get 240 VAC hit on your 120 VAC appliances very easily--but this is not the GT inverter's fault).

-Bill
  • niel

i'm implying they are too old as the certification requirement did not exist back then and its being required now voids those pvs in such an application as gt for your residence.

good idea on asking them if they may still have the specs.