different panel install

andy300z
andy300z Solar Expert Posts: 39
Hello, I am in the process of hooking up (2) 80watt nominal12v monocrystaline panels with (2) 80 watt 44v amorphous panels. Since there are different open voltage can they be wired in parallel going to a mppt charge controller which has an open voltage input of 150v
Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: diffrent panel install

Need to know the Vmp and Imp of the panels, but with what I see in your post, I don't see how you can with one charge controller.

You need two different charge controllers, with one, or both needing to be MPPT type charge controllers.

By the way, what is the battery bank voltage?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • andy300z
    andy300z Solar Expert Posts: 39

The 80w monocrystsline are:
    Nominal voltage: 12
    vmp: 18
    voc:22.1
    imp: 5
    Isc:5.4

The 40w amphorous panels (I am hooking 2 of this in parrallel get my 80w)

operating voltage: 44v
    Current @mpp = 0.92a
    voltage @ mpp = 59 v
    short circuit current = 1.17a

If i hooked these in parrallel the voltage remains the same. I should be abel to use 1 mppt charge controller which has an open voltage of 150v

Battery bank is 12v system
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

3x crystalline panels in series for Vmp 54 volts
    2x amorphous panels in parallel for Vmp 59 volts

The 3 above strings in parallel--Vmp of each string is within 10% loud each other.

Can you get one more 80 watt crystalline panel?

Otherwise, get a cheaper PWM controller and put your 2x 18 volt panels in parallel on it.

-Bill

Opps, I think the amorphous 54 volt Vmp is really 44 volt Vmp.

Go ahead and place the 2x crystalline panels in series, then place those in parallel with the 2x amorphous panels in parallel and measure the output. See if the two crystalline panels add to your total output. It won't hurt anything.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset