solarex powerline 8514500

Hello, I have 50+/- solarex powerline mdl 8514500 that I have had stored for many years and would like to know if anyone has any spec information on these panels?...Thanks.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: solarex powerline 8514500

i haven't found a thing on it with those numbers. can you give some general info like are the cells a full circle, semi-circle, pir shaped, or square? dimensions of the cells? dimensions of the module (panel)? any other makings or info on it?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The second 1/2 of this PDF has some 60-70 watt panels listed. They appear to be Vmp=5 volts and Imp=12-14 amps...

Have you tried measuring Voc (voltage open circuit) and Isc (current short circuit) for your panels in full sun?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • popajoe
    popajoe Registered Users Posts: 17

Thanks for responding...I will need to check...I bought about 150 solar panels at a TVA auction back in the 1980's.....and had planned to get batteries and be independent of the power grid....but batteries are very exensive and with the electric rates going up I thought I might help my situation by using a grid connect type inverter and go that way....I know these are older and less efficient ...but I'll just use more....I will try to get more info from the panels tomorrow and if you have any information that will help me with the wattage rating I would be most appreciative...thanks...Joe.
  • popajoe

Thanks...It's been several years since I checked..but with no load the panel output was 15 to 20 volts.
  • niel

that's quite a range. try that around noonish and aim towards the sun to measure the voltage on a decent dvm or dmm.
    in fact how many cells are there in addition to the questions i asked previously?
  • popajoe

Hello Niel...well I have some additional info ...the panels have 72 sq panels and the overall dimension of the panels: 50.5 x 25.7 inches...apparently each panel has a peak rating...one I looked at is 66.2...I'm assuming watts...all are mdl 8514500....I tested the voltage at a little past noon and the initial reading was 21.5 +/- and then after the panel warmed in the sun the voltage droped to about 18.5 vdc... I do three phase electrical work and design and build electromagnet controller systems, among other things, so I'm not "electrically" illiterate just have little experience with solar panels...and I sure appreciate you taking the time to try to help me out...thanks...Joe.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

It sounds like they are around Vmp=17.x volts... Which is fine for 12 volt battery charging (behind a solar charge controller).

If you can try short circuit current (assuming it does not exceed your meter's current limit--typically 10 amps for a DMM)--That will help tell you the panels are OK and what Isc rating is. (Isc is a bit higher than Imp).

You can also connect 1 panel at a time to your 12 volt car battery and measure the current in full sun--that will be near Imp (clear day, panel pointed at sun, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • popajoe

Thanks Bill....actually, I would like to use them with a grid tie inverter.....I'm pretty sure they are around 60 watts each....Have not tested the current yet...Thanks...Joe.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

You might have some trouble grid tieing these panels if they lack UL listing and proper specs on the label. You might have a conversation with your permit authority/utility before you do much investing in this process.

Tony
  • popajoe

Thanks...I know they do not qualify for the "sell back to utility" program...I just want to reduce what I pay to them.
  • popajoe

It's kinda ironic that they don't qualify for my utility company's program... that buys the electricity from TVA... and TVA was using the panels at their facility when they sold at auction....speaking of ironic...it's more than ironic it's in fact stupid that the department of energy abolished the solar division enabling me to buy them from TVA way back in the 80's.....or maybe it was the department of energy that got abolished...whatever.
  • niel

1> for the voc to go from 21.5v to 18.5v doesn't sound right as the unloaded voltage should not vary that much in the sun.

2> by 72 sq panels do you mean 72 square cells?

3> is there a junction box on the back of it and describe what you see in it if so?

4> are there any other markings on the pvs at all?

5> what icarus is trying to say is that they aren't approved for the high voltage series strings that are required in gt systems. in fact, without certification they would be limited to off grid small voltage dc battery operations. i can't find it right now, but i think the solarex pvs were rated around 72v, but don't quote me.
  • popajoe

Hello...it has 72 square cells... probably about 4x4 inches each....part or the reason for the substantial drop could be the time factor about an hour from high to low and the sun was different overhead???
  • popajoe

No other markings and no box on the panel...
  • popajoe

Also, when TVA was using them they were tied together...the inverters that I also bought required a rather high voltage...I will get out the inverters and see what they require...might have only been 48 vdc???
  • popajoe

Sorry Niel for taking so many posts to say something...But what you said about the limitation of the panels in series is the kind of information that I would love to confirm one way or the other about these panels...thanks...Joe
  • niel

i wish i could confirm it, but in any case i doubt they would be usable today without certification. even the california list of pvs does not list solarex.
  • popajoe

Thanks to all for your input...should any of you come across any spec info pertaining to these panels I would sure appreciate your sharing it with me...Joe.