Xantrex C60 and Grid Tie

I use Xantrex C60's and while reading the manual regarding the Charge Control Mode I wondered if it were possible to connect a Grid Tie inverter as the Diversion Load.
Can one do that?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Xantrex C60 and Grid Tie

Yes, there are GT inverters that take battery input (24 and 48 volt that I know of) and put any energy over float voltage into the grid.

Xantrex/Schneider and Outback (I think) make these... Probably a few others do too.

XW Hybrid inverters as a start. This do both Grid Tied and Off Grid (backup power or for pure off-grid) at 120/240 VAC split phase output.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks Bill.
    I have some of brand Grid tie inverters for 110V but did not want to change my wiring around until I was sure the C60 did not need a resistive load for the diversion. I think you have answered that.

My system is a 48V system consisting of a 1500Ah Hawker battery pack and currently only 4 48V 7A panels. I was running the house on a APC Matrix 5000.
    The Matrix come to the end of life suddenly and I have not been able to get a new Xantrex 6048 to replace it. Economy problems! Mean while I just did not want to waste the available power.

Thanks for the reply.
  • BB.

Hmmm... You are thinking about connecting a small GT inverter to the battery bank through a C60 controller setup as a diversion controller?

Interesting idea... I am not sure I know of any UL Listed small GT inverters that would work with this setup...

But, I wonder if the Enphase type inverters would work?

Looking at the specs, the M190 and D380 seem like they could work on a 24 volt battery bank. The M210 might work on a 48 volt battery bank (although the max input voltage of 62 volts on the M210 is very close to where you would run your bank on equalize).

Of course, when you involve building inspectors and utility requirements plus mix in UL/NRTL--The difference between could work and "legal" to connect will probably be a big issue.

Interesting concept.

You probably would still want a backup C60 with resistive load (set voltage > C60+enphase float voltage settings) just to make sure that you don't overcharge your bank if the inverters/utility grid is down.

You could have some issues with the enphase possibly taking 5 minutes to "turn on" when DC power is applied (I don't know when they start the 5 minute "AC Power Good" timer).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2

Actually Bill you just open my eyes. Can't believe I miss read the manual.
    What I wanted to do is use the access power from the solar panels fed into the Grid tie. Now I can see what the Xantrex does by wiring it for Load Diversion is connects the batteries to the output (Diversion) NOT what I want.

Guess I will just have to make my own. Was hoping not to have to do design work on the bench. But as usual, seems like that's going to be the answer.

I will keep the C60 in it's present Load Control Mode. Maybe just put in a manual switch system for a while until I can get my 6048.

bummer!
    but much thanks.
  • BB.

Actually, if I understand your concern... The XW hybrid inverter would probably do exactly what you want.

Bascially, the solar panels and charge controllers dump 100% energy into the battery bank. The charge controllers are (I am guessing) programmed to bring the battery up to max charging voltage (call it 59 volts for a 48 volt battery bank).

The XW is set, once it figures out that the battery bank is 100% charged, to start sending power out to the grid and bring down the battery bank voltage to Float Voltage (around 52-54 volts). And it does it proportionally--The more excess power there is, the more power the XW exports out the GT interface.

If the Grid goes down, the GT inverter disconnects from the grid and then supports the local 120/240 VAC protected circuits (pretty much a big UPS system).

Also, the XW has an AC generator input (probably needs both 120/240 VAC inputs, or at least 240 VAC) which can recharge the battery bank... And the XW can even "assist" the generator if demand exceeds generator rated output (say turning on a large well pump).

Pretty nice set of functions--Of course, it is not cheap to generate your own power.

-Bill
  • System2

Your right about the XW hybrid inverter ( 6048 ). Probably get one later this year. Also, you of course are right about the expense of creating power. It sure is NOT cost effective unless you are doing it on the tax payers bank roll. I AM NOT.
    You could really call my project an expanse hobby, my wife does. But she sure likes the Solar powered lighting and the emergency power for the two or three weeks a year we have a loss of the grid!

We live on 40+ beautiful acres on a lake, on the Oregon Coast. Can't get any better then that, well except for having your own power plant!!

Thanks for the chat and the info and opening my eyes.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

goldjunkie,

Sounds like you live in a beautiful place.

I noticed that you said you were using an APC Matrix 5000 up until it failed. I also have a Matrix 5000 set up for use as an emergency backup power source at my home.

How long did you use your Matrix 5000 before it failed? Any idea what failed?

Edward