Climate data?

ggunn
ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
Is there a good website to go to that will have records of most/many US locations' record low and average high temperatures?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Climate data?

If you are looking for a simple list of monthly temperatures, www.Weather.com works well (I think this direct link will work):

Averages/min/max for San Mateo (you have to check the high/low record boxes)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

Also http://english.wunderground.com/

Anywhere around the world.

Russ
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i'm not sure if they do this for all areas, but i use the national weather service. (nws)
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=pbz
  • ggunn
    russ wrote: »
    Also http://english.wunderground.com/

Anywhere around the world.

Russ
    Maybe I'm a dummy, but I haven't been able to find an all-time record low temperature on wunderground or weather.com.
  • niel

i have seen some records if you click on the month for weather.com. they are listing those for future days in the month. days passed they give the actual temps attained and they list their 10 day forecasted temps as well. i believe you can go one month into the future and see those records for that month, but past and near term days are showing actual or forecasted temps.
  • BB.

On the second link I gave you (Averages from forecast menu), at the top of the chart there are two check boxes you need to click on to show Record Hi and Record Low...

You do see the average temperature chart? (java script enabled?)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

i never realized that was there bill.:cool: it is located at the bottom of the calender month on the far right and says averages.:D

i'm curious as to why this is wanted?:confused:
  • BB.

Voc-cold (max array voltage) and Vmp-hot (min array voltage) would be my guess...

-Bill
  • ggunn
    BB. wrote: »
    Voc-cold (max array voltage) and Vmp-hot (min array voltage) would be my guess...

-Bill
    You'd guess correctly. We design for Voc corrected for the record low temperature for array Vmax and Vmp corrected for the highest average monthly high temperature (plus a correction for flush roof, standoff roof, or ground mount) for Vmin. There can be quite a bit of variation over a relatively small distance if different terrain, elevation, etc. are factors. The more granular the data I can get, the better.
  • niel
    BB. wrote: »

-Bill

my bad as i should've thought of that.:roll:
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

www.weatherbase.com
    regards mike
  • niel

nice link mike, thanks.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a dummy, but I haven't been able to find an all-time record low temperature on wunderground or weather.com.

http://english.wunderground.com/history/airport/ADB/2011/1/1/DailyHistory.html

That page provides max and min records.

They just changed the format yesterday - now I have to find my way around the site again. I record weather data here in the village for my reference - somewhat different than Izmir.

Russ
  • ggunn
    russ wrote: »
    http://english.wunderground.com/history/airport/ADB/2011/1/1/DailyHistory.html

That page provides max and min records.

They just changed the format yesterday - now I have to find my way around the site again. I record weather data here in the village for my reference - somewhat different than Izmir.

Russ
    Maybe I'm getting something different, but the record low and high temps I see on that page are for a specific date (the coldest it's ever been on January 1 or whatever), not all time records.

As to their new look, if you go to their "classic view" it's the same as it ever was. I don't like the new look at all. In the classic view, most of the info I want is right there at the top of the page. With the new one, you have to go looking all over the site for forecasts and radar, and the top of the page just shows current conditions. I can look out the window and see if it's raining or sunny, and I have a thermometer out there. What were they thinking?