Rated Current: 8.05A

Rated Voltage: 17.4V

Short Circuit Current: 8.25A

Open Circuit: 22.0 V

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Phono 140 Watt Panels

It may be pretty difficult to get a good idea of the quality of solar panels (asking here) that are now coming from China and elsewhere with tons of new names, outsource vendors, leaks of product from name brand lines, etc... Given that it takes a good 5-10 years to determine if these guys have a chance of lasting 20+ years--I don't know how you ask/answer such a question now-a-days.

Just looking at the panel for a UL (NRTL) mark is probably not even "good enough" these days with all of the counterfeiting of UL marks going on.

Getting a UL mark (and confirming with UL database?) at least shows somebody took $50,000 and 6 months of work to get it Listed.

Go with name brand and pay over $3 per watt and pray that they will be around for 20+ years to honor their warranty (my vendor is still in business, and I have yet to hear if they will honor it after 5 years)... Or pay less and keep your fingers crossed.

Perhaps somebody else has a better idea.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kendive
    kendive Solar Expert Posts: 38
    BB. wrote: »
    It may be pretty difficult to get a good idea of the quality of solar panels (asking here) that are now coming from China and elsewhere with tons of new names, outsource vendors, leaks of product from name brand lines, etc... Given that it takes a good 5-10 years to determine if these guys have a chance of lasting 20+ years--I don't know how you ask/answer such a question now-a-days.

Just looking at the panel for a UL (NRTL) mark is probably not even "good enough" these days with all of the counterfeiting of UL marks going on.

Getting a UL mark (and confirming with UL database?) at least shows somebody took $50,000 and 6 months of work to get it Listed.

Go with name brand and pay over $3 per watt and pray that they will be around for 20+ years to honor their warranty (my vendor is still in business, and I have yet to hear if they will honor it after 5 years)... Or pay less and keep your fingers crossed.

Perhaps somebody else has a better idea.

-Bill

Good point... There are so many different solar panels out there it's hard to pick.

Looking at wholesale solar and the Trina TSM-DA01 180 watt panels now and there off grid systems

I could read this forum everyday... I like learning about these systems and I want to do alot of research before diving in
  • BB.
    kendive wrote: »
    I could read this forum everyday... I like learning about these systems and I want to do alot of research before diving in
    There are those of us who do read this forum every day... :blush:;):D

I know I am still learning.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

A very common way of doing business in Asia is that the smaller companies change their name every six months or so.

Leave all the problems behind and get a fresh start twice a year. Guess how much their guarantee is worth.
  • BB.

Towards that end--Finding a good retailer to work with hopefully helps--The retailer wants to be around longer than 6 months and will try and filter out the poor quality vendors with no history...

But it is tough--When customers wave $1 per watt panels off the web at the store who has lots of good quality $3 per watt panels--what should he do--sell $1 per watt panels too and cross his fingers?

-Bill