Ventilation

Options
(1) I need to install my batteries in my two car garage. Is this to confined a space for the lead-acid type battery?

(2) Which battery and dealer would you recommend?

Thank you

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Ventilation

There are several things with Lead Acid Batteries to watch out for:
    • Hydrogen gas during charging (gas rises, so vent hood/box for batteries with good ventilation, may not be needed if there is no sealed roofing system where hydrogen can collect--Some people use a small computer fan when the batteries are charging)
    • Hydrogen gas + acid mist--Keep "expensive" stuff at least a couple fee from un-contained batteries (box?)
    • Acid Spills--Will ruin whatever the batteries are sitting on (again, box to hold acid).
    • Keep top of batteries covered to prevent tools and small hands from getting to the wiring (1,000's of amps available in dead short--in some ways more dangerous than 120/240 VAC leaving house wiring exposed). (box?)
    • If you have very cold weather (way below 0F) and run the batteries below 50% state of charge--they can freeze and split the cases (box, insulated box?).
    Using AGM batteries does reduce several problems above... In normal operation AGM batteries will not out-gas or mist acid and they are "spill proof" even if the cases are cracked.

However, AGM's as they reach end of life, or in some overcharging situations can vent hydrogen gas and acid mist--so it is still recommended that you treat them with respect.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset