Deka Unigy II batteries

ggunn
ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have any experience with the Deka Unigy II modular battery systems? They are significantly more expensive per Ah than standard batteries, but they supposedly have a 20 year life cycle. Their racking system is pretty cool looking, too.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Deka Unigy II batteries

just looked at their install manual the other day and they appear very similar in setup to the GNB Absolyte racking.

e

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

"Significantly more expensive per Amp hour." See, there's the thing. When it comes down to practical application, buying your Amp hours as cheaply as possible is a good idea. Most all "good quality" batteries will perform reasonably alike, so why spend extra if you don't need to? Especially true on a "first set" where there is greater likelihood that something may not be right and the battery life may be shortened do to over/under charging.
  • ggunn
    "Significantly more expensive per Amp hour." See, there's the thing. When it comes down to practical application, buying your Amp hours as cheaply as possible is a good idea. Most all "good quality" batteries will perform reasonably alike, so why spend extra if you don't need to? Especially true on a "first set" where there is greater likelihood that something may not be right and the battery life may be shortened do to over/under charging.
    That's why I asked. These batteries are proported to have 2-3 times the lifetime of other batteries approved for solar applications, and have a 20 year warranty.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

ggunn, did you ever get some of these?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ggunn
    westbranch wrote: »
    ggunn, did you ever get some of these?
    No. The customer balked when he saw how much the system was going to cost. Unfortunately, that is not all that uncommon a reaction.

When I was with a company where I had to do sales in addition to design, I sometimes manned a booth at trade shows. When folks would walk up and start talking about wanting a PV system, I would ask them what they wanted their system to do. "Get me off the grid" was the most common answer. None of the folks who said that had any idea of what it would cost them to do that and maintain their accustomed standard of living, of course.