Which company is making n-type solar cells or wafers?

Options
the more the better. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Which company is making n-type solar cells or wafers?

What do you need the cells for? Why N-Type?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I have already known some companies, like SunPower and Sanyo, who are producing solar modules made from n-type solar cells. But I have no idea of the others.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Hi, BB.
    I am doing a market research on companies producing n-type solar cells/wafers.
    Since n-type is told to be higher conversion efficiency than p-type. It might be an opportunity to look at it. I do not know if it would be a trend for the solar industry in the future. Thanks!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

most of us don't usually concern ourselves with those differences as we look at $ per watt, warranty, and sometimes company reputation and reliability too. most high efficiency pvs are priced too high in the $/w category and really only need to be obtained in the installs where space is tight and even then the gains are small. about the only time we do frown is when thin films are just as costly per watt and need twice the area to produce it. even at half the cost and twice the area one would wonder why bother with them and just use the regular crystalline pvs. you'd also need twice the mounting hardware with thin films.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    most of us don't usually concern ourselves with those differences as we look at $ per watt, warranty, and sometimes company reputation and reliability too. most high efficiency pvs are priced too high in the $/w category and really only need to be obtained in the installs where space is tight and even then the gains are small. about the only time we do frown is when thin films are just as costly per watt and need twice the area to produce it. even at half the cost and twice the area one would wonder why bother with them and just use the regular crystalline pvs. you'd also need twice the mounting hardware with thin films.

I recently ran across just such a situation. A potential customer asked us to spec out a 100kW ground mounted system, and he was enamored of a particular thin films module. Although the price per watt was significantly less for them than for crystalline Si, when we fleshed out the design with projected land use, racking and labor costs, wiring, etc., the thin films just did not make sense. YMMV, of course.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

The efficiency only counts when you are short on roof space.

Russ