PM Spammer blocked, messages deleted...

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Everyone,

I am very sorry that a spammer used PM's to spam some sort of poker site.

I have blocked the spammer and deleted the messages he has sent.

Sincerely,
-Bill B. Moderator
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• Greenhorn
    Greenhorn Registered Users Posts: 11
    Re: PM Spammer bloced, messages deleted...

Bill,
    I too was spammed and just logged in to let you know about this, glad you already knew. I haven't been to the site in a while, but Its a great forum, and you personally helped me much in the past. Thanks for being here.
    Regards,
    charles
  • BB.

You are very welcome Charles.

Anyone else that gets new PM spam--feel free to PM myself or Niel and we will block them as soon as we can.

Otherwise, we moderators have no visibility of PM traffic.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CorbinKale
    CorbinKale Registered Users Posts: 21

I got an email, stating that I had a private message on this forum. Instead of clicking the links in the email, I came here to check, and there was no private message. I was going to post a warning, but it looks like the Mods are on top of it. This serves as a good example of why we should never click links in an email, even if we think it is from a trusted source.
  • BB.
    Re: PM Spammer blocked, messages deleted...

As far as I know--There is no possibility of harmful code that can be executed by opening a PM on this forum (no HTML/Active Code is allowed in posts/PM)--The only objectionable stuff is text and pictures (Niel and I try our darnedest to try and stop the spammers before they post).

However--I would recommend never clicking on a link in "spammy" posts/PM's... There is no telling where those lead to.

Again, Niel and I are very sorry this happened.

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    CorbinKale wrote: »
    I got an email, stating that I had a private message on this forum. Instead of clicking the links in the email, I came here to check, and there was no private message. I was going to post a warning, but it looks like the Mods are on top of it. This serves as a good example of why we should never click links in an email, even if we think it is from a trusted source.

very true and from what i understand is that there is a huge problem with windows 7 due to the chinese breaking into google and then following up with info they aquired on the w7 os that they can, at will, break into any windows 7 system and can also emulate trusted emails. i know not particulars as this is what i've been basically told and to stay far away from that os. (if i said and understood it correctly) this, as i understand it, was done on a government level and not by the businessmen in china. if china ever gives them the knowledge and hacking abilities they have acquired, many here in the us are in trouble not to mention many in most of the world too.