AGM Battery Bank; Vertical Orientation OK?

James
James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
Hello folks,
Here is a question which I'm not sure if it has come up before on this forum; Can an AGM battery bank be positioned vertically without problems? My understanding of the internal construction and cell operation suggests to me that vertical or horizontal operation is ok. The Hawker units I have are in steel cases in sets of three, designed for stacking horizontal.
Many years ago I asked a technician at Hawker this question and he stated something "it's probably better to keep them horizontal." No further explantion or reason was given.

I am thinking of setting up a 12 volt backup system with these units and would like some opinions regarding battery operation in a vertical position.

I currently have a grid charged 12 volt backup system using GNB AGM cells vertically and have never experienced any issues, at least that I'm aware of.

I don't see where any more stratification is possible one way or the other, but I'm open to advice.
Any others here on the forum using AGM vertically?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: AGM Battery Bank; Vertical Orientation OK?

i would recheck with them on that to be sure, but in the meantime go by what you were already told.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

I am betting they recommend the upright position in case they should be over charged and with the vents up, can vent off the gas safely.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

I think they are recommending the horizontal position because these are "tall case" batteries if mounted vertically--I would guess the electrolyte may tend to "settle" lower in the case because of the large distance between the top and bottom of the cell.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

I asked that very question of our BC rep and he told me it is best for GNB's to be on their side as the electrolyte does not 'wick' to the top part of the cell if placed vertically... apparently the upper 8 inches become really starved for electrolyte.

I would have to assume all AGM's react the same if they are the tall (>20") variety.

Ask a Hawker rep... What does their manual recommend?

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • James

Hello,
    From what I can find in the manual, it only discusses it from the installation aspect, because the cases are designed to lay flat(horizontal). The electrolyte issue makes sense. I will try to make room enough to keep them horizontal in their new location for the 12 volt backup system. (ps, this is not replacing my existing GNB 12 backup system...the proposed setup is for a friend of mine, whom is wanting a backup system, grid charged for now. Solar to come later he hopes.
    thanks again
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

Remember to keep the battery cabling balanced (if paralleling cells):

www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • James

Thanks to all.
    The cells are 2 volt so no cells will be paralleled.