Solar

2»

Comments

• McClary's Electrical
    McClary's Electrical Registered Users Posts: 21
    Re: Solar
    niel wrote: »
    yes, i am sure i and many others would like to know how it turns out and feel free to copy this thread and show it to him. he may feel i have a valid argument or just opt for the same old regulations first and common sense later approach of mr. wiles.

We've had weather issues slowing the project, and other jobs going on. But we did get 15 panels mounted the other day before it started snowing. It seems like the mc4 connectors that are coming from the panels have small ridges on the connectors, and the 100' cables that they are supposed to mate with do not have the opposite ridges to accept and mate with. Do they make an adapter for this? The box on the back of the panel is made by tyco electronics. Is this a proprietary part? Do they make you buy their cables?
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

Maybe your panels came with Tyco connectors instead of MC4 connectors?

Anyway - you can get adapters...
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

You have the wrong cables, you need the ones with Tyco connectors. MC4 will not mate with Tyco - different brands/companies.

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/feat/en/s/25222
  • McClary's Electrical
    McClary's Electrical Registered Users Posts: 21

Thanks everybody so much for your replies and helpful information. We successfully commissioned the system this morning. It immediately started producing 4.5 kw, and slowly ramped to 6.5kw very early this morning. We produced between 6.5- 7.9 kw all morning long until I left there at lunch time. Thanks alot for all your help.:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i'm glad it's all squared away and running.:D:D:D
  • wdegrace
    wdegrace Registered Users Posts: 8

More than likely the DC leads on the roof will be partially dictated by array layout. Depending on your plocal AHJ you could simply stub into the roof with conduit and place a pipe boot over the L to make it water tight. You could also look into installing a soladeck. This is basically a watertight rooftop fusable combiner box that has appropriate knockouts, grounding bar, negative side bus bar, and slots for up to 8 strings with touch safe fuse holders. I have installed many of these and they work great. However, this also depends on the roof type (Along with being a renewable energy installer I am also a roofer) Just do the necessary calculations for voltage drop, conduit fill adjustment etc. and the numbers will guide you. Also keep in mind that the Sunny Boy inverters only produce the nemeplate rating for output power. Unlike some other models like the PV Powered Inverters that may produce more than 8000W (or whatever the rating is)