New wind turbine is up and running!

Options
Fe-Wood
Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
I have a small stand alone system running a cabin. I just installed a new Air Breeze 200 watt wind turbine for the sunless winter months. Boy, is it working out. Last winter we had to run a generator to keep the batteries up. In my location, when the sun isn't shining the wind is usually blowing. Turbine with panels seems to be a good match....

A happy camper:D

Comments

• rafaelito
    rafaelito Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options
    Re: New wind turbine is up and running!

A few photos would be very festive!!! Congrats on your install and integration. Can you share the best and most challenging aspects of the project? Were certain aspects subcontracted, permits/inspections, local opposition, etc.

Thank you for sharing!

Gar
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

I'll take some pictures today... weather permitting:grr Raining HARD!!
    Location was a big factor because of the need to just get it set up.
    I mounted it on a 21' piece of sched. 40 galve water pipe. and braced it off the deck of the cabin. It was above the surrounding shrubs in this location but not far enough. The turbulence and flex in the pole made it work only marginally. I have sense move the turbines location to the end of the cabin itself. I mounting the pole to the peak of the roof and to a beam on the bottom. The turbine is 7' above the peak. There is still a turbulence issue but I think this is the best location based on distance and surrounding trees and shrubs. I will be adding a lightning suppressor in the next few weeks. We don't get much if any lightning this time of year.

My biggest learning was how to properly wire a string of batteries. This is a 12v system and I have the batteries wired in parallel. I put the load on the first batteries set of terminals. With the turbine running, I saw it would only take the batteries to 60-70%. With my tester I checked a few variables in volt readings from different poles within the group and found the largest voltage (I'm talking 10th of a volt) was when I tested from the + on one end of the string to the - on the other end. I had never really thought about it but it does make sense to pull from (and charge to) the unit as a pack instead of through one battery. Could this be due to line loss from terminal to terminal wiring?

I am rapidly becoming a believer in having a turbine as part of a well rounded stand alone system. Usually when it is cloudy there is wind! At least in my location....
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Gauge and length of wire affects voltage drop... In general, 12 volt battery banks need a lot of current because of the low(er) operating voltage--and therefore need lots of copper too.

Battery Bank Balance (every parallel string carrying its proper share of the load) is based on having (usually) symmetrical wiring between banks (equal resistance paths for current to all batteries). This website is a good start:

Smartgauge Battery Wiring

Note that, usually, both the loads and the charging sources attach to the same balance point (common bus connections) on the battery bank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Fe-Wood
    Options

Thanks bill,
    That diagram went into my file:D
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

those diagrams are very educational, but where does one buy the hardware to attach 3 battery lines at one location? Is a bus bar the only option?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Or long brass bolts where you stack all of the connectors.

Blue Sea has an assortment of bus bars.

As does NAWS, our host.

Midnite Solar System Installation Products
    Outback Power TBB-X InsulatedTerminal Bus Bars

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset