Project pump

ggunn
ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
We have a project that requires an off grid solar powered water pump. It's an educational display that will pump water over a sort of sculpture that is about 10 feet high, and it's a closed circuit system. We have 4 185W 24 nominal 24V modules to power it with, and the pump needs to pump a lot of water and show that as irradiance decreases, water volume decreases. I believe that this means that the load lines for the pump need to intersect the VI curve for the array to the left of the max power knee at fairly high irradiance levels. The plan calls for the pump to be submerged in the reservoir, but I can make a change if I need to. The installation will run all the time during daylight hours.

Module characteristics:
Wp = 185W
Vnom = 24V
Voc = 44.8V
Isc = 5.48A
Vmp = 35.8V
Imp = 5.17A

As I said, we have 4 of them mounted on the structure for 740W @24V nominal.

I have looked at a lot of pumps - bilge pumps (they aren't designed to run continuously for months), submersible well pumps (too tall for the reservoir), pond pumps (mostly AC), etc. but nothing looks quite right. I'd welcome any suggestions.

Comments

• xolar
    xolar Solar Expert Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Re: Project pump

If you look the grundfos manual it shows you can run it horizontally, I have installed quite a few of these and they will do what you are describing as far as irradiance to volume comparison.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    xolar wrote: »
    If you look the grundfos manual it shows you can run it horizontally, I have installed quite a few of these and they will do what you are describing as far as irradiance to volume comparison.
    I'll check it out. Thanks!
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

You might consider a Shurflo 9300 submersible pump. Will run fine on 12-24vdc, and deliver upwards of 5 gpm depending on the voltage.

http://www.altersystems.com/catalog/shurflo-9300-solar-pump-24vcd-p-1515.html

The link is from a NAWS competitor, but it shows the flow rate and current draw.

http://www.solar-electric.com/sh93susowapu.html

I use one to pump from a lake into a Pressure tank at 60PS, and it has been quite reliable. It is also fairly small, and is easy to service and repair.

Tony