Battery box venting - passive

Options
bbbuddy
bbbuddy Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
http://www.bdbatteries.com/hydrogenventing.php

hydrogenventpipes.jpg

boxedright.jpg

I searched the forums, didn't see this info anywhere.
Seems to be a "failure proof" passive venting method recommended by this battery dealer.
Has anyone done this?

We are making a small outdoor powerhouse for the new battery bank, inverter, and charge controller, so now is the time to decide on venting. We already have some 1 inch copper pipe, may have to buy a piece of 1/2 inch if I can't find any laying around. the only thing I "worry" about is, we have a couple of months of VERY windy weather, I would not want the wind to interfere with this.

Comments?
Magnum4024PAE, 2 Midnite Classic 150s, 3100watts solar, 432ah lifepo4 battery.  Off grid since 2004.

Comments

• bryanl
    bryanl Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery box venting - passive

All the wind will do (usually) is to help keep the air mixed and that is what you need to dispel any fumes from the batteries.

I think this coaxial idea is a bit of overkill but it is still attractive, anyway. I thought of doing something similar but adding an exhaust fan that would run when charging.

I haven't done the analysis but I really don't think the temperature differentials are sufficient for the rationale given for this coaxial venting system.

Another factor is the 1" pipe. I'd think that suitable only for a small, one or two battery bank.