looking for a decent grid tie inverter...

no-carrier
no-carrier Registered Users Posts: 13
Hi all...looking for a small grid tie inverter...Have 780w array..there are so many listed on ebay that it makes things confusing..Better to go with one large one or maybe 3 300w? And yes, money is always a factor...Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: looking for a decent grid tie inverter...

http://www.solar-electric.com/suboy70700wa.html

Now, have you got enough money for all the permits/bribes necessary to do a proper install? It's the same hassle for one 200 Watt Enphase as for one 8000 Watt Sunnyboy. And every time you add another small grid-tie inverter, it's the same hassle again. Think about it carefully.
  • no-carrier
    no-carrier Registered Users Posts: 13

Being new at this, what I want to do is get a inverter that will plug into a 120v outlet..
  • Cariboocoot
    no-carrier wrote: »
    Being new at this, what I want to do is get a inverter that will plug into a 120v outlet..

Which is not legal, nor safe.

Most grid-tie inverters are 240 VAC, BTW.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Which is not legal, nor safe.

Most grid-tie inverters are 240 VAC, BTW.

What Marc is trying to get at is that adding generation to a live circuit in your home renders the possibility of adding way to much load to the circuit without the possibility of a breaker being tripped and creates a fire hazard.

Plug in inverters are a hugh hazard to your home, might invalidate your homeowners insurance and generally are a fire hazard.

Inverters should be added to your service panel, via proper permitting and code connections to ensure no safety steps have been missed. The local utility has the right to know you are energizing there equipment especially from a safety perspective. Just think about your inverter send power back down the line when the utility thinks they have disconnected the power properly.
  • Cariboocoot

Something else that should be mentioned:

Back-feeding the grid doesn't always get you a lower electric bill. If the grid connection isn't set up right with the proper meter et cetera, your surplus power production may show up on your bill as consumption.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Something else that should be mentioned:

Back-feeding the grid doesn't always get you a lower electric bill. If the grid connection isn't set up right with the proper meter et cetera, your surplus power production may show up on your bill as consumption.

that won't be a problem if the power is being consumed in the home. the problem can arise when more is generated than consumed and the meter isn't proper for handling this export of power as it doesn't know if it's consumed or exported. it just adds the power it sees that flows no matter the direction of flow. not everybody has this type of meter i might add, but unless you know you are taking a bit of a chance on having to pay for exported power in addition to the hazards mentioned already.
  • Cariboocoot

Hence my use of the word "surplus"; production in excess of consumption. :roll:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

forgive me coot as i'm over the hill.:p
  • Cariboocoot
    niel wrote: »
    forgive me coot as i'm over the hill.:p

Me too.
    And far away ... :p