Small System for Pop UP RV

13»

Comments

• Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Re: Small System for Pop UP RV

We didn't want to call it a pole barn so we called it a pole shed. Now that it is finished I'll probably start calling it a shop.

K
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read through this about 3 times and am confused about one thing.

You have a 12v converter plugged into the prosine. Why are you not tapping the batteries directly? Do you have something that is voltage sensitive?

Seems like that setup would have a lot of parasitic loss.

When I setup my motorhome I used an IOTA charger and connected it so it powers up on shore power or genny only.
  • Kamala

The 12V converter is not in use. It is on it's own AC circuit and that breaker is off. All 12V loads are supplied by the battery bank.

I have the same idea to connect the converter directly to the shore power inlet. However, the converter and the AC/DC distribution panels are a single unit. I plan to pull it from the camper this winter and see what kind of modifications I can make. Shouldn't be too hard.

K
  • Kamala

UPDATE!! Three years since installation and everything is working wonderfully. I have made only minor modifications; cut-off switch and battery terminal fuse. We use the camper every weekend of the year. In the winter we are on the grid and the batteries stay in float. Once a month or so I'll discharge them to 80% SoC (exercise?) One interesting thing is that, once in awhile, when charging from the grid, my LP gas detector would go off while the batteries were in the absorption stage. This also happened once in the summer when running the genny. I've done some tinkering with the charge profile of the Pro Sine and the problem seems to have disappeared. I have plans to vent the battery compartment more effectively (just for safety.) It could also be that the LP detector is failing and giving false alarms (it's five years old.) It might have to be replaced! Otherwise, the AGM's might have lost some electrolyte. They are VRLA at 2psi (I think.) But if I can get two more years out of them, I can't be called too abusive.

UNDONE: I still have not mounted the PV panels to the roof so we have not had the camper "on the road" yet. Neither have I pulled the converter (13.8 VDC PS) to affect the changes mentioned earlier in the this old thread. The two projects are related. We are quite happy just being where we are and spend most of our time working on improving our land.

We could not have done this so quickly and correctly without the help of this forum. (Note that I made my first post here in Apr 2009. I installed the system in Aug 2010.)

Thanks all! Enjoy!

K
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Kamala, great to see you again. Sounds like you have a wonderful life going on there!

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Good to see you again old friend. I hope you'll be able to get some camping in soon. Frustrating to have the project nearly done, eh? :D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

good to see you again. stop in more often.
  • Kamala

I'll try. Stand by. :cool:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

how long do you want me to stand by as my legs are getting tired from standing here already?:p
  • Kamala

Neil,

Stand as long as you want or can. It may be that the measure of a man or his body (legs) is determined by how long he is willing (or can) to do either. As evidenced by your continued presence here, you seem to have achieved all.

You, B.B., Icarus, Caribocoot, dwh and many more have accelerated my (me and wife Doris') joy at our river property. I would have figured it out eventually. But for you all, I was saved time, money, effort and danger.

Five years later and the system is ... Go!
    The camper is still not road worthy. That is a different issue for a latter time. Soon though.

Other matters press, I will post in GENERAL.