RV tilt mount

Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
I am thinking of building a four way tilt mount for our solar panel using aluminum angle. 3M VHB taped to the roof of our teardrop (Filon). Has any one encounter anything like this?

Comments

• notsobright
    notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Re: RV tilt mount

I havnt but have thought about it aswell (but not adhesive attachment)

framework that would work to tilt in 4 directions would be complex. what I thought might be best for RV use is a ball and socket swivel mount of some type.

another idea is a pole mount attached to the side that could be extended above the roof when needed. the advantage here is that you only need one hinge point and from there you can turn the pole to aim. probably the easiest way for a single or only a couple of panels. you could also make a stand for it to use away from the vehicle if needed.

3m adhesive is really good stuff but Im not sure its that good, it might be though but I would do some research and be certain before I tried it.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Look at some larger flat screen TV mounts. They can be extended, and some can tilt pretty far in a couple of dimensions.

I just used a couple of little ones to use for mounts for some folding tables.

tony
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Tony,
    This is a big panel and will cover much of the rear of the teardrops 6' width. Places where we camp have fairly good winds, Midwest, North of Lake Superior, plus driving down the road... I really like the idea for other things however.

notsobright
    I have had a good long discussion with a 3M engineer, we got into a discussion of wind sear loads from passing trucks etc. there needs to be enough contact area to sustain the loads. One thing to remember is that VHB tape is what holds the sides on the semi's that do not show external fasteners and the road signs beside the road and architectural use which is very common.

What I envision is using aluminum angel, the bottom pivot point being screws through the sides of the panel and one leg of the aluminum angle. The prop rod to adjust angle attaches to other screw holes in the side of the panel and the aluminum angle. The one fly in this ointment is that there needs to be some sort of spacer that attaches to which ever will be the lower pivot point to allow clearance for the panel to swing. And above all, it needs to look good and not be too difficult to handle ;)
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

The idea is you use the TV mount, for tilt etc while parked, then strap the PV down when you travel. Also, you can tilt the panel in the orientation you desire while stopped, and then configure a bracket to hold the orientation while parked.

Taking a big TV mount, and mounting angle bracket or Uni-strut to it, and mounting the panel to the Uni-strut. Think of it this way, a 48" tv hanging off the wall is no bigger or heavier than a PV panel of similar size.

You are right however, I wouldn't trust the mount for travel., but they are readily available and the orientation options are plenty flexible.

T