two wind generators on one pole?

Options
Deckard
Deckard Registered Users Posts: 5
I had a swwp 500watt windseeker installed 10 years ago an my neighbor informed me that the wind generator was turning backwards and indeed it was. The blades were shalvaged from a dumpster at swwp by the company selling the generator. They have since gone out of business. So I got another set of blades and also another windseeker wind generator. The current generator is mounted on a 45 ft of 2 inch schedule 40 pipe. It has I guy cables off the pipe. Four off the middle and four off the top

Can I make a put a t on top of the pole with braces and install the second wind seeker next to the first one. Essentially two 500watt wind generators on one pole. Or would it be better to install another pole or upgrade the pipe to 4 inch.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: two wind generators on one pole?

i don't know what to tell you about the blades or that company that you don't already realize by now.

45' of schedule 40.:confused: i do trust we aren't talking about pvc pipe here.

put the newer turbine on a separate (metal) tower as far as is possible from the first or get a properly sized metal tower to handle a much larger new turbine. you don't want 1 turbine setting up resistance to the wind or eddy currents that could be a detriment to the other or both turbines.
  • Fe-Wood
    Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options

That would look pretty cool:cool:
    2 turbines side by side. I think your current set up would hold it as long as your guy wires are strong enough and securely fixed at the ground and poll. I think the "T" would need to be able to pivot so the turbines are always perpendicular to the wind. I would consider making the turbines fixed and mounting a wing in the middle of the 2 to make sure the turbines are always facing the wind.

I would love to see pictures if you do it! I am in the process of putting up 200W turbine myself
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    45' of schedule 40.:confused: i do trust we aren't talking about pvc pipe here.

The schedules are spec sheets for pipe - metal or plastic:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ansi-steel-pipes-d_305.html

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-dimensions-d_795.html
  • Deckard
    Deckard Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

So I spoke with several people who work for southwest windpower and the consensus was that I just need to put up another pole. Because of the wind eddies and aerop dynamics. I think I want to look at replacing the 2inch steel pipe with guy wires to a mono pole. And look at getting a wisper 200: