Permatex Spray on Battery Protector

cdre
cdre Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭
I see green corrosion on my battery terminals after a few months and pull everything apart for cleaning.

Wondering if anyone has experience using spray on battery post protector to keep corrosion to a minimum. Any advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks!

Comments

• arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Re: Permatex Spray on Battery Protector

I've used the red permatex spray and I think it's better than using grease or other coatings as you can see when or if it fails. Make sure everything is clean and mask (I just use some paper) and spray an even, light coat. It should last a long time, depending on conditions.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I have also used the green/red felt washers from the auto parts store (battery section) on my cars with very good success.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

For Solar battery applications, the green corrosion is from exposed copper being attacked by battery acid (stating the obvious).

You need to try to keep the battery acid where it belongs, and make sure that the battery interconnection cables are well made. The cables should have tinned copper terminal lugs, and the cables should have the glue lined shrink fit tubing protecting the cable-to-lug junction.

Some inexpensive batteries exude battery electrolyte from every case penetration, and frequent cleaning of the battery tops (with dilute baking soda/water soulltion) is required.

Sometimes Water Miser, or Hydro caps can help reduce the electrolyte spaltter coming from the caps.

If your batteries use considerable amounts of water, perhaps the Asorb or Float voltages may be too high.

Bottom line: Quality parts, and cleanliness, plus a review of the charger settings may help. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I use NOCO spray (the same company that makes the little felt washers). It's a red grease-like spray. I've used it for decades after a mechanic and friend that maintains a fleet of busses recommended it.

What I've learned using it is that it doesn't have to entirely coat the terminals. I spray a little on, then wipe the excess. No corrosion. There've been times I've skipped using it and got corrosion.

Emphasis on "little". For years I was coating the terminal, putting on about 10 times the amount necessary.

Phil
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

I use CarQuest's version of the battery terminal spray dressing.

It also has a red grease like composition.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

For 8 years now I've used spray on Rust Check and give the terminals a little spray about once a year. So far after 8 years with the same six L-16's, not one spot of corrosion anywhere! All terminals and cables are like new off the shelf. Yes, it's an oil based product with anti corrosion chemicals, and some have warned against using anything oil based around terminals, claiming it would act as an insulator, preventing proper electrical connection. I have definitely not found that to be so in my case, as all connections are bolted tight and I've had zero problems in 8 years.
    http://www.rustcheck.com/
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if a lot of this acid induced corrosion is a result of a lack of ventilation? I have a The Power Vent system always on, 24/7/365 and have never had any corrosion on any of 12 connection points. That's without any goop, sprays or anything on the terminals It helps vent the basement while venting the hydrogen.

Ralph
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    I wonder if a lot of this acid induced corrosion is a result of a lack of ventilation? I have a The Power Vent system always on, 24/7/365 and have never had any corrosion on any of 12 connection points. That's without any goop, sprays or anything on the terminals It helps vent the basement while venting the hydrogen.

Ralph

Bingo. High charge rates will contribute too; higher off-gassing.
    VW beetles were notorious for corrosion on terminals; the battery was under the back seat.
    The old-time solution: Vaseline. Anything that can coat the connections and keep the mist from attacking.
    The felt rings, btw, should be oiled to work properly. They mainly stop seepage through the top around the post. But they do work.

I have nothing on mine at the lake; just a vented case. Never any corrosion in four different systems over the years. Atmospheric conditions will aggravate it too, of course. Particularly a marine saltwater environment.