iSolar 40 watt kit

ArmyChief
ArmyChief Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
http://www.greenpower888.com/eng/iSolar/index.html

I did a search and could not find any mention of this manufacture or part. It intriques me for the fact that it is smaller than the Powerfilms and Brunton's (due to the use of mono cells vs CIGS/Amphorous). Plus, it couls with a MPPT controller/charger. I'm sure the battery and inverter are not the greatest. However, for th eprice per watt and the MPPT controller...I thought it at least deserved mentioning for some feedback.

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: iSolar 40 watt kit

Looks interesting... May be worth purchasing one and seeing how it works. Pay close attention to how the solar cell electrical connections are made. if the cell attachments are not under glass but can flex with folding the panel--the interconnects probably will not last very long.

The other thing to remember is that there are losses and full sun is only the few hours during the middle of the day. In real life, you will get, roughly, 77% of the rated power out of the panels/charge controller.

Most areas are around 2-5+ hours per day. In deserts you may get 6-7+ hours per day of "full noon time sun".
    • 20 watts * 5 hours * 0.77 = 77 Watt*Hours per day estimated sunny weather output
    I assume that you are looking for portable power in remote locations.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ArmyChief

Bill,

Yes, I am looking for portable (rucksak, molle pak..etc) power. This one seem like it has features that are "better" than Powerfilm or Brunton foldable panels.

Now, I'm sure the quality of Powerfilm's stitching and construction is "probably" better. This is why I wanted to see if anyone here has put there hands on one or did any testing.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    ArmyChief wrote: »
    I did a search and could not find any mention of this manufacture or part.

Actually, that looks to me like the manufacturer's site. There is no way that I can see on that site to buy the product, but there is info on how to contact the manufacturer. I think the site is probably aimed at people who are interested in buying a container full of these for resale.
  • ArmyChief

dwh,

They are for sale on Amazon and ebay. 40 watt $299 - $399..depending on where you get them.

http://www.gizmag.com/isolar-portable-folding-solar-panel-kit/15374/
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

There was some fellow on here maybe a year back that was building backpack type units wasn't there.

I can't remember his user name though - and guess I didn't use search correctly as so far no luck:blush:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I believe this is the thread you are looking for?

Portable Solar Power

And I believe that this is their website:

www.powerenz.com

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ArmyChief

Russ,

Panels are REAL expensive. Plus, I want to build this myself..not looking to go retail.