solar kit

1st let me say I no nothing about this , I would like to learn . I have a 17 ft casita travel trailer that i would like to add solar to . question is is there a complete kit with every thing needed to get up and running ? 85 to 100 w ?:confused:

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Re: solar kit
    bama wrote: »
    1st let me say I no nothing about this , I would like to learn . I have a 17 ft casita travel trailer that i would like to add solar to . question is is there a complete kit with every thing needed to get up and running ? 85 to 100 w ?:confused:

There certainly are. They are usually sold through RV or boat retailers and they are usually VERY overpriced. You can certainly do better by buying the components yourself. One reputable dealer would be the company that runs and pays for this discussion forum - Northern Arizona Wind & Sun (and no, I'm not affiliated - none of us here are affiliated except Windsun and rick who both work for NAWS).

http://store.solar-electric.com/

100w isn't much. If you get 4 hours/day of good sun on it (they won't put out much at all unless they are getting full direct sunlight) that would be 400 watt hours. So that would be your power budget with a 100w panel - 400wh/day.

Now you just need to figure out what you use and how much power it draws.

As an example, my camper has the smallest Norcold 3-way fridge - the 323. I always run it on propane, because on the battery it draws 11.2 amps. 11.2a x 12v = 134 watts per hour.

400 / 134 = 2.9

As you can see, a 400w daily power budget would run my little 323 for only 3 hours a day.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is a nice thread with video from Keven in Calgary Canada that shows designing and installing solar PV in a small RV trailer.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Remember, in an off grid (trailer/rv) system, your yield is likely to be less than 50% of name plate rating net/net of useable power.

The rule of thumb that I like to use is the 50%X4 rule.

Take the name plate rating of the PV, divide that by 2 to account for all system loses, then multiply that by 4 which is the average number of hours of good sun you can count on in most places over the course of the year.

So a 100 watt panel might look like this: 100/2&*4=200 watt/hours/day. In the real world, and on an RV, that number is likely to get even worse, due to less than ideal orientation, and harvest that is left on the table when the batteries are full or near full.

I am not meaning to discourage one from using PV on a RV, but go into it with your eyes open relative to what you are likely to achieve. If you tend to stay in the same place for days (weeks) at a time, then a PV system makes way more sense than if you travel more frequently.

Spend some time calculating your loads, and then figure out how well Pv can work for your situation.

Tony
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Here is a nice thread with video from Keven in Calgary Canada that shows designing and installing solar PV in a small RV trailer.

-Bill

I'm proud of how well my small camper system has worked in it's first full year (season) of service. I have not documented it very well, but there are some photos available. Follow the HTML link to my album in my signature. Tony/Icarus was the first to respond to my very first post. What fell on me after that was essential to the project I had in mind. And it worked well. I could not have done it without this forum.

Just today, my wife and I moved the camper into our new pole shed, still under construction, on 45 acres that we own in NW Wisconsin. :cry:

The shed is 30' X 80' and will be connected to the grid. No PV. Our general contractor's electrician was out Saturday to install the service panel. It is 325' from a neighbor's service. We have to pay for the entire distance at $5 per foot. That neighbor was very gracious to grant us an easement, otherwise we would have had to be served from an alternate power company at 3000'. The alternate PC would give us the first 100' at no charge but each additional foot was $10. I now appreciate how difficult it can be to have electrical power in remote (our's is not such) locations.

Today, the electrician trenched and laid the line from the service to the shed main panel (200A.) Now, the PC has to trench their side. After Nov 15 we'll have to pay an additional "frost charge." So we got a week. Hope upon hope. :-)

To the OP, I will be posting a a more thorough explanation of my endeavors to add PV to my camper.

Enjoy!

K
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Kamala,

If you wish... Make your own thread and I will put it in the sticky beginners all things solar thread.

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭

In time. All in good time. 8)
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

One thing to remember is that there are many ways to minimize power needs. Our Teardrop is set up to save energy using only LED lights, and computer case fans in place of a Fantastic Fan.

I will suggest that you may wish to check out the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailers forum, there are a number of Casita owners, http://www.mikenchell.com/forums

I will back the comment, you can do a much better job finding quality components at a good price. Do your homework and avoid costly mistakes, I made a costly mistake in choice of controller that I have had to replace because of my ignorance in choice of solar panel (high voltage grid tie at a good price).