solar cell Repair

conntaxman
conntaxman Solar Expert Posts: 125 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have quite a few [about 15]3x6 cells were the tabbing wire is Lifting off the cell body on the neg. side,[side with the crystals] What I did was flux the small I'll say "small buss" link on the cell itself, then put the tabbing wire on it then soldered it.They all seemed to be on after I soldered them,because i checked the 2 tabbing wires by moving them a little. By the way, im useing a 30 watt iron.Now the next day I was picking some up to do the back side when I noticed that some of the tabbing wire was Lifting off the cell.Now i mean the tabbing wire AND the part that is on the cell itself, I'll say the "cells buss wire". I tried to re solder the both back to the cell,Don't work. Now I was thinking, their is a liquid glue that has a conductor in it that I seen before, will that work :confused: the others are fine. these are the ever green cells.
Tks for the answer.
Johnny
Ps. is their a place that I missed when i signed up and filled out everything that I missed ,were after you post and someone replies you get an Email.I never get/got an email from this forum. :blush:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Re: solar cell Repair

Check your user CP for "Automatic Thread Subscription Mode"... Right now you have selected:
    • Do not subscribe
    • Subscribe with no notification
    • Instant email notification
    • Daily email notification
    • Weekly email notification
    Also, you may wish to enable: "Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG) Editor Toolbar"... It does a pretty nice job of "what you see is what you get" editing (QUOTE tags need to be manually edited)

Regarding the soldering on the cells--Temperature is probably critical and handling that places only stress on the cells runs the risk of lifting the cell conductors.

Even if you get the cells installed on the panel without lifting the conductors--A few months of thermal cycling under sunlight may be enough to cause problems.

-Bill

PS: I just sent you a PM to double check your email address and that it is not getting stopped by a spam filter on your end. -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • conntaxman
    conntaxman Solar Expert Posts: 125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: solar cell Repair

BB. thanks, and I went in profile and changed some of the stuff. Also about the tabbing wire lifting of the cells, what Im going to do is buy some EPOXY with silver in it and try that. Hope it works. Its hard to test all the very small lines in the 3x6 cells, but I will check out the voltage and amps. that should tell the whole story.
    This is a very good site, :D
    Johnny