air x

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
does anyone like there air X ? can you believe they are still selling them at 550$..??? they should be 250

Comments

• Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Re: air x

They should pay you for taking them since they are a complete waste of time and money.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

I know this is a chinese box but I am still curious...but the 24v model seems to change availability depending on sites... its about 650$ at the Windmax site and in this video it doesnt seem bad... that is if you get the controller with the rectif. and dump load..look at this and tell what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0tDH6zxXDM
  • Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭

The Air X was a POS from day one. Problems from day one.
  • Chuck46
    Chuck46 Solar Expert Posts: 95

I have 2 that dont work, any buyers?:D

Chuck
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

If you've got $600 to throw away I'll take it!
    And you won't even have to suffer from trying to make the stupid thing work. :p

I'm amazed they are still selling these AirX things. One of my lake neighbors has one - it has never, ever produced a single Watt of power.
  • Truth Squad

How To Get Use Out Of Your Air-X

---OR---

Ten Things To Do With Your Air-X:

1.) Take off the face, remove the circuit, paint your house number on the side, and mount it to a post at your curb. A new novelty mailbox!

2.) Use it as a graphic training aid for a seminar titled "Why You're Better Off Putting That Money Towards Solar".

3.) Fill the inside with rocks, use as boat anchor.

4.) Leave up on pole as primitive weather gauge. Not the best wind direction vane, but when it's wet, you know it's raining.

5.) Bury tail in ground, remove face, and use as novelty flowerbox.

6.) Mail as a Christmas gift to someone you're not especially fond of but obligated to send a gift to.

7.) Use as a "White Elephant" gift at office Christmas party.

8.) Use as an electronic gaming device of "Lowball". People bet on how little power it will produce in decent winds. One good way to make it pay for itself.

9.) Put bells on the blades and use as a funky wind chime.

10.) Give it to your kid as "Instant Science Project".
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

(10) Yeah, but they'd never pass the course, or get into the regionals! :p

Ralph
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Why it seems in USA everyone knocks the AirX as the worst wind generator ever made?? Many are in use here in Aus including mine and they seem to work well, my only mod was to fit 6 blades that made it about a 5ft dia tip to tip. now workks even better in very low winds.. Ive seen mine put out over 20amps many times ,,(12v) its been in use about 3 yrs now
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Love #4! And if its dry it could be windy, sunny, hot, or cold.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    john p wrote: »
    Why it seems in USA everyone knocks the AirX as the worst wind generator ever made?? Many are in use here in Aus including mine and they seem to work well, my only mod was to fit 6 blades that made it about a 5ft dia tip to tip. now workks even better in very low winds.. Ive seen mine put out over 20amps many times ,,(12v) its been in use about 3 yrs now

Yes but you're in Australia so the secret must be that they only work when they're upside-down! :p

I've often thought that if someone with a brain got a hold of one of these they could make it work. You've just proved me right. :D
  • Truth Squad

The concept behind the Air series is actually a great concept. It could be a great wind gennie. I know of a number of people who said that their old 303 with a 403 upgrade kit installed worked great. The 303 alternator was good and the 403 circuit was good. Combined, it made a pretty good turbine. Only drawback was noise. If they'd have stuck with Air and perfected that instead of going after pie-in-the-Skystream, they'd probably have had success and wouldn't be where they find themselves now. It's actually pretty sad.
  • john p

As per the noise of the Air X it is reduced subjectively by at least 3/4 by using a 6 blade 5ft dia kit... The maker of the 6 blade kit claims its because the "holes" between the blades are smaller. Cant say if that true or not as dont know much about such things,but it makes me wonder if large 2 blade generators are as noisy as they are because so much "space" between each blade???
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭
    john p wrote: »
    As per the noise of the Air X it is reduced subjectively by at least 3/4 by using a 6 blade 5ft dia kit... The maker of the 6 blade kit claims its because the "holes" between the blades are smaller. Cant say if that true or not as dont know much about such things,but it makes me wonder if large 2 blade generators are as noisy as they are because so much "space" between each blade???

There might be something to this. I just replaced a 2 blade turbine with a 3 blade turbine and it is much quieter, especially at lower wind speeds. During a rainstorm, the rain falling totally masked the sound of the turbine and I could see it turning but couldn't hear it at all from about 60 feet away.
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭

I do not know ANYTHING about wind turbines, but since there is so much wind where I live, I once thought of adding one to my small system. In fact, lured by the price, I almost bought an AirX. Glad I did not.

Now, since the tittle of this section is "Wind Power Generation", I have to ask, seriously: Is there a small wind turbine, 24 volts, that some - or all - of you could honestly recommend? (I am thinking about a hassle free, do it yourself, weekend project.)

I usually read this section, and so far I think I have never read a strong recommendation for any small wind turbine.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

I've done a lot of research on small wind turbines, and I've had experience with 2 different wind turbines. The only one that has a longer track record that meets some of what you described is probably the TLG-500.

There are also some people happy with the Windmax wind turbines (and they offer some smaller units), but they have not been out long enough to have a long term track record.
  • john p

Sorry Caiiboocoot but this is not the reason..Yes but you're in Australia so the secret must be that they only work when they're upside-down!
    As the Air X is in Philippines in a small town in the provinces.. have a look at the "quality" of the concrete block shop/house behind the close up.

Something else for the wind generator "experts" to think about.. The usual statement is ALWAYS to mount the generator as high as possible above all surroundings, Well I tried that and it was not that successful.. it actually worked better when mounted about 6ft above the roof line as suggested by the blade kit manufacturer. His claim is you get "better" wind flow across the roof rather than well above the roof..and this was proved by me to actually be the case.. BUT im not claiming anything except it worked for me .
  • topper
    topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭

As for the Air-x/Air breeze, I only know that my neighbor down the street loves his. It always seems to be turning with the little LED lit.. I can hear it whisping in the wind, sounds like wind through the trees when I'm down wind.
    How much it actually produces I don't know. Rated at 160 watts, if it even produced 1/2 that consistantly, it would tabulate to a fair amount in a year.
  • Truth Squad

Jessica, I am going to give you the best advice you're going to get: Take the money you'd invest in wind and buy solar from a reputable dealer---like Northern Arizona Wind and Sun.

I worked ten years in small wind. I don't suggest small wind to anyone, especially anyone starting out in renewables. You'd think because it's windy where you are it'd be perfect. But that's not always the case. High wind can actually destroy some wind turbines.

Small wind is another fifty years out from being something you can confidently buy.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

I agree that solar is a lot simpler and more reliable way to generate power. Most people would be better off just buying solar panels because it is so much less complicated than wind turbines (at least what's currently available).
  • MisterB
    I worked ten years in small wind. I don't suggest small wind to anyone, especially anyone starting out in renewables. You'd think because it's windy where you are it'd be perfect. But that's not always the case. High wind can actually destroy some wind turbines.

I agree, wind power is not for the casual homeowner, solar is much easier and more cost effective. Those of us that do use wind power usually are dedicated tinkerers with some serious electrical, electronic and mechanical skills. Solar is getting cheaper all the time and wind energy can be a good supplement to solar if your site is right but I would invest in solar first and really think about what your site has to offer. On the hill I live on, a few hundred feet can make a world of difference in wind potential. I just talked to a woman who spent $4000 on an Air X installation--the turbine itself is cheap but skilled labor is not--and got nothing for it and she just wants to give the generator and tower away. $4000 in solar panels buys you a lot of watts even if $1000 or more is spent on the installation.
  • JESSICA
    Jessica, I am going to give you the best advice you're going to get: Take the money you'd invest in wind and buy solar from a reputable dealer---like Northern Arizona Wind and Sun.

Small wind is another fifty years out from being something you can confidently buy.

I am not new to this thing. I designed and installed a small pv system all by myself 3 years ago (with the advise and help of some of the members of this forum: Crewzer, Bill, etc.). [By the way: What happened to Crewzer? I have not heard from him for a long while. I am in debt to him.] Thus, I am not just a complete ignorant (ignorant, yes; complete, no).

Where I live (west side of Puerto Rico), there has not been a whole day of full sun since June this year. The first two years, my panels used to produce an average of 4 to 5 kwh a day, but this year, for the last 4 months, after 1:00 or 2:00 PM clouds cover the sky, and rain comes down heavily. In fact, if you take a look to news about Puerto Rico in the web, you will see that during the past 5 days it rained so much in the island that almost half of it has been declared in state of emergency, because of floods and so forth. Production has been only an average of 3 kilos per day since then.

Hence, I was just looking forth to supplement my pv system with wind power, to compensate for the lack of sun during the rainy season (June to November).
  • MisterB
    JESSICA wrote: »

Where I live (west side of Puerto Rico), there has not been a whole day of full sun since June this year. The first two years, my panels used to produce an average of 4 to 5 kwh a day, but this year, for the last 4 months, after 1:00 or 2:00 PM clouds cover the sky, and rain comes down heavily. In fact, if you take a look to news about Puerto Rico in the web, you will see that during the past 5 days it rained so much in the island that almost half of it has been declared in state of emergency, because of floods and so forth. Production has been only an average of 3 kilos per day since then.

Hence, I was just looking forth to supplement my pv system with wind power, to compensate for the lack of sun during the rainy season (June to November).

In these conditions, wind could be a viable supplement to solar in a hybrid system. I live in a high altitude desert in the southwestern US and have had a hybrid solar/wind system for almost 20 years now. When wet weather comes in here, it is proceeded and followed by very windy conditions so the wind system comes to life just when the solar system starts to die and there is a dead period in the middle of the storm where there is rain or snow which is followed by a huge energy surge when the storm moves on and, quite often, both sun and wind energy are at their maximum which quickly recharges the batteries that have been discharged by the energy void in the middle of the storm. The precipitation cleans the earths atmosphere and I usually get an unusually high current reading after a rainstorm, sometimes far over the panels rating, from my solar array and the winds are really cranking after a storm.

Also, if it is raining so much, and if you have running streams, hydro power is worth looking at. It is impossible where I live but on an island with lots of rainfall, I would check out the possiblity of small hydropower.
  • Truth Squad

All I'm saying is I worked at a place that makes small wind turbines. I know what goes into them. Anyone still have a working Windseeker? Can you get parts for one now? That's what I'm saying.
  • MisterB
    All I'm saying is I worked at a place that makes small wind turbines. I know what goes into them. Anyone still have a working Windseeker? Can you get parts for one now? That's what I'm saying.

The Windseeker 250 I have needs the brushes and bearings replaced and one spring replaced and the prop painted and rebalanced. It is around 1990 vintage. It is a Ford alternator put into a custom wingenerator casting so most of the necessary parts can be bought from an automotive repair shop. Air X is a different story.

@TruthSquad
    I've really enjoyed reading what you have to say about Southwest Windpower. You've confirmed what I've suspected for a long time now. There is a general malaise in American business in which Southwest Windpower is just one of many guilty parties: Too much emphasis on hype and too little on product.
  • JESSICA

I do appreciate your advice, and your counsel based on your experience.

I was just trying to find a way to boost energy production when the sun does not shine on my panels.

Sincerely: thanks.
  • BillF
    BillF Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭

@Jessica,

If you really want a micro wind turbine, look at an Air Breeze. It will work in low wind speed regimes (10mph to 12mph), better than the Air X or Air403/303. In a good open area, on a 29' or taller tower expect to get up to 20 kWh per month. The Air X will not do that.

If you need more energy production then you should look at a SWWP Whisper100 or 200. For quality at a higher price a Kestrel 220 or 300 will do the trick. For a 24 volt system the Bergey XL1 is very good.

Don't forget to add the cost of the tower in the overall price of your wind energy system, use a tilt up guyed tower and go taller than any nearby trees or buildings.
  • Truth Squad

I would be very leery about buying any SWWP product right now. They just laid off 11 people and are in obvious financial trouble. The question is: Will there be a company to support the product next year?
  • JESSICA

Right now, I am seriously rethinking/reconsidering the whole idea.

Last saturday, just minutes after I posted my message, another lightning strike hit my house. (You can read my posts and see some pics under the "general topics section", under "weird thing 2".) I don't even want to think the damage it could have done to a wind turbine 40 feet above the ground level!

Anyway, Thanks for your ideas.
  • MisterB

In almost 20 years of having a wind generator on a 45 foot tower, I have never had a lightning strike while 2 of my nearby neighboors who are around 100 feet lower than I am have had lightning strikes that wiped out quite a bit of their solar systems--inverters, charge controllers and a lot of electronics plugged into the system. If done right and properly grounded, a tower can actully work as a lightning rod and prevent lightning from hitting your house.

There are 2 kinds of lightning rod. The tall skinny ones that are mounted high are meant to discharge a potential lightning strike before it happens and there is another kind that I have seen in Sweeden that is usually a big massive grounded bronze statue with a big surface area installed in a front yard at below roof level that is meant to be hit by lightning and divert the strike from the house.

Proper grounding is important. I have several vertical grounding rods and over a hundred feet of bare copper grounding wire buried horizontally all connected to form my earth ground and the windgen, tower, the solar panel rack and all big metal objects and the AC ground from my inverters are all tightly bonded to the earth ground.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I like it! How about a big massive bronze statue of...

A lighting rod!