Recomended grid-tie- inverter.

Options
Rufus-R
Rufus-R Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi everyone,

Im researching Grid tie inverters, i see all the cheap looking ones on ebay, they anygood for messing around.

i want to take my incomming power and dump it into the house, i know theres no way i can stop my meter, but i would like to slow it down at least.
i will be able to slowly add panels to my garage roof.
which model do you guys use/recommend.

thanks

New member here, love the site !

Comments

• topper
    topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Recomended grid-tie- inverter.

If you are looking into a slow panel by panel build, Enphase is a good option.
    1 panel = 1 micro inverter.
    The down side, power goes out, system quits generating.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Depends on what your needs and your rollout plans are like...

As Topper says, all GT inverter will turn off (for safety requirements) if the AC mains go down... (micro GT inverters, large GT inverters, etc.).

If your power is reliable and you don't have long outages (more than a week?), Grid Tied, possibly with a back up genset, it the way to go from a price/performance point of view.

You can start checking with our host, NAWS... The Enphase micro inverters, SMA and Xantrex (now Schneider) Central inverters are all fine.

The issue you may have to deal with is that GT Inverters require building permits and utility inspections/approvals... Makes for a very costly rollout if you try to do one/two panels and inverter at a time (in theory, new permits, new inspections, new licensed electrician fees).

You can install all of this without permits or approvals... But that is at your own risk... A bunch of solar panels on a roof, drop in metered power (or possibly a utility alarm if you back feed through the meter--Or some utilities charge you retail power rates if you back feed the meter without approvals, etc.) can give several entities the right to red-tag your home/turn off utility power.

Nobody here will tell you to install without approvals. And, yes, there undoubtedly have been many people who have done just that. You take your chances.

If you are into saving money (and being a bit greener too)--Take a look at conservation--It is almost always cheaper to conserve a what then to generate a watt...

If you have not worked at conservation yet in your home--It is not unusual for people to cut their power bills by almost 1/2 by the time they have insulated, new AC/Heating/Heat pump systems, double pane windows, energy star appliances, turning stuff off, etc...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Rufus-R
    Rufus-R Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Depends on what your needs and your rollout plans are like...

As Topper says, all GT inverter will turn off (for safety requirements) if the AC mains go down... (micro GT inverters, large GT inverters, etc.).

If your power is reliable and you don't have long outages (more than a week?), Grid Tied, possibly with a back up genset, it the way to go from a price/performance point of view.

You can start checking with our host, NAWS... The Enphase micro inverters, SMA and Xantrex (now Schneider) Central inverters are all fine.

The issue you may have to deal with is that GT Inverters require building permits and utility inspections/approvals... Makes for a very costly rollout if you try to do one/two panels and inverter at a time (in theory, new permits, new inspections, new licensed electrician fees).

You can install all of this without permits or approvals... But that is at your own risk... A bunch of solar panels on a roof, drop in metered power (or possibly a utility alarm if you back feed through the meter--Or some utilities charge you retail power rates if you back feed the meter without approvals, etc.) can give several entities the right to red-tag your home/turn off utility power.

Nobody here will tell you to install without approvals. And, yes, there undoubtedly have been many people who have done just that. You take your chances.

If you are into saving money (and being a bit greener too)--Take a look at conservation--It is almost always cheaper to conserve a what then to generate a watt...

If you have not worked at conservation yet in your home--It is not unusual for people to cut their power bills by almost 1/2 by the time they have insulated, new AC/Heating/Heat pump systems, double pane windows, energy star appliances, turning stuff off, etc...

-Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the great info, I have no intentions of breaking the law, i was aware of needing permits and i want to do this right, but it never ocurred to me that an inspection would have to be done each time i add 200 watts to my garage... that definately sucks.

as for my town, our power never goes out. we had a wicked snow/ice storm wich casued grid failure about 2yrs ago, town was down for about 18hrs, used my trusty genny and a kerosene heater.. was actually kinda fun.

anyway, as for saving a watt.. im already on top of that.. were getting ready to do new windows and siding, will wrap the house with a thermal barrier.
    this spring, had 18" blow in insulation added to my attic, wow did we notice that over the hot summer months, it completely stopped all that radiant heat comming down from the attic.. and with the kids moved out, all our utilities are dropping allot.
    sounds like i had beeter start calling the city and electric company to check on the
    permitts and inspection fee's
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

There are laws and there are LAWS... :roll::p (I did not intend to imply any actions on your part :blush:).

You would need to check with your local building department and utility about slowly building out a GT solar array... From my local and imperfect knowledge of building permits--they usually want to sign off on each part of the job. I don't see them letting you avoiding inspections for a 2 year type project. It appears that our local building department wants about $50-$60 per site visit.

If you mount the rails and run the power--Then it is just installing panels and plugging them in (to existing circuits)--Perhaps "THEY" will let you do this.

By the way, great going on the conservation... Always a good investment. (are you sure the kids are out of the house "permanently"?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options
    topper wrote: »
    If you are looking into a slow panel by panel build, Enphase is a good option.
    1 panel = 1 micro inverter.
    The down side, power goes out, system quits generating.
    Yep, and on eBay you can get a used inverter for about $100. Probably the cheapest way to start experimenting with PV.