power-one aurora inverter questions

solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
Was on Power-one website. What is the difference between a non isolated and isolated version? The non isolated models are PVI-3.0-OUTD-US, PVI-3.6-OUTD-US and PVI-4.2-OUTD-US. The isolated models have larger sized inverters model numbers PVI-3.8-OUTD-US and PVI-4.6-1-OUTD-US. I found a seller that has the first mentioned model numbers at a very good price. I like the feature of connecting 2 separate arays tio the same inverter. :D:D Solarvic:D:D

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: power-one aurora inverter questions

The basic difference is there is no DC (or common mode AC) isolation transformer between the solar panels and the 240 VAC line...

Why somebody would pick one over the other (for other reasons than price, size, and efficiency?)--I am not really sure. They both meet UL Listing requirements so they are both "safe" in terms of specifications. 200-600 VDC vs 240 VAC -- They are both "dangerous in several different ways. The Solar panels are insulated to 600 VAC (1,000 VAC in Europe)--So nobody is supposed to touch them anyway...

Good question.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

although both are said to be safe, i am a bit of old school in liking the isolation that a transformer can bring. no transformer does equate to lower price and lower weight even more so.
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    Was on Power-one website. What is the difference between a non isolated and isolated version? The non isolated models are PVI-3.0-OUTD-US, PVI-3.6-OUTD-US and PVI-4.2-OUTD-US. The isolated models have larger sized inverters model numbers PVI-3.8-OUTD-US and PVI-4.6-1-OUTD-US. I found a seller that has the first mentioned model numbers at a very good price. I like the feature of connecting 2 separate arays tio the same inverter. :D:D Solarvic:D:D

Beware I had an Aurora PVI 3000 installed alongside an SMA inverter. Same orientation same 13 panels. Daily output was considerably less than the SB inverter.
    Had it replaced with another SB and all daily outputs were then equal.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

I know this thread is old as dirt but did you ever figgure out why there was a difference and how much is considerable 15% or 3%?

I like the power one over sunny boy specs for 3 reasons.
    1. it is narrower and can be put in between the studs of my basement walls and still have the necessary air flow clearance. Any 24" spacing would work.
    2. can control two independent strings at differnerent angles
    3. has a lower start up voltage so I can make it work with a shorter string of panel /evergreens. I can use 14 panels in series vs about 20 with the sma.

I should try hooking up a string of 20 to both of them. I got stuck with the SMA6000 because the company I bought it from sized it incorrectly and did not want to eat the returning shipping fees. I'll use it eventually.
  • solarvic

I was the original poster. I had 2 fronius inverters, IG-2000 and IG3000 that limit is 500 vdc. Could only use 14 of the 16 KC- 158g panels I have. Wanted an inverter that had the 600vdc limit so I could use all of my 16 kc-158g panels. i also liked the capability of using 2 different strings at different directions. Since I already had the inside display system I decided to stay with fronuis and got the 3.1 IG-plus model that has the 600 vdc limit. Very satisfied with my choice. So now I have an extra IG-2000 inverter for a spare. One question I have. Will the inverter go bad not bieing used? It could handle 14 of the panels in the summer but would be on the edge if I had -26 f which is the record for my area. LucMan, I think the inverter you compared to a SMA inverter a different model than the one that is bieing reviewed on this post. NIEL, I think Power-One has a model now with an Isolation transformer that was just bieing introduced just after I started this post. :Dsolarvic
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

So would that be -26F ambient at solar noon directly tilted? Most likely those conditions won't ever be met in PA. The panel will naturally heat up some.
  • solarvic

don,t know what time of day that the temperature was -26f. That was the temperature that was displayed for my area of Pa. I worked outside for over 25 years and I remember days when it was in the low -20s all day for 2 or more days. I get the lake effect winds from Lake Erie and am in the lake effect snow belt. Anyway 16 panels was too much for my Fronius IG-2000 inverter. solarvic:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

most likely that temp was early morning before you could get any real production from pvs. technically pittsburgh is in that lake effect area too, but not like your area and i've been in your area enough to know. fyi vic, we were just up that way sunday for we had to drive my father in law back home as one of my nieces got married saturday.
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    I know this thread is old as dirt but did you ever figgure out why there was a difference and how much is considerable 15% or 3%?.

The difference was about 15 %. The best answer that anyone could come up with was that the MPPT software was the culprit.