Extremeley Satisfied

Options
54d18
54d18 Solar Expert Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
I just got home from the cottage, clear day today and by 12:00 PM
my 490w of solar had put 1.4 kWh into my 900 ah bank and the Rogue
controller was in float mode.

Most excellent I must say...
The real test will be throughout the fall, mostly overcast days.

All hail Marc and the Rogue 3024

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Extremeley Satisfied

Well I see a very BIG problem.

What are you going to do with all of those electrons you panels collected for the rest of the day ????

The is a good problem to have.
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options

I'm new here and to solar for the most part though I've been lurking for quite some time. I am also completely satisfied with Marc and the Rogue controller. To think that my post sale emails were answered at 10:30 pm on a Sunday night just blew me away too.

I'm a little bit undersized in the controller department and am considering a second 3024 to split the array with. Better off having 2 smaller controllers versus one larger one in case of failure I feel. I believe he must have tweaked some of the early issues like sleeping to easily and adding too many "days" of data because of it. Mine is like a switch and if it does wake up and go back to sleep while only gathering a few watts it does not write a new "day".

The next door neighbor had a lightening strike, we lost some electronics here too, the 3024 went into sleep mode and woke up a few minutes later. It was the only thing in the neighborhood that slept because of it I'm quite sure.:p

I've added an Exeltech 1100W inverter from NAWS recently. You all here are the best and I can't thank you enough for your experiences. I've learned all I know about solar right here.
  • MicJar
    MicJar Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options

Just received mine yesterday now just need some time to rewire the panels and install everything.

PS This thing was packed for shipping so even ups could not damage it GREAT JOB !!
  • 54d18
    Options

Satisfaction update...

We pumped our water, ran my chest freezer converted to fridge,
    ran my circular saw to build a hunting shelter, and the usual
    TV, stereo, and lights, and get this, no sun until Sunday.

Happy Happy Happy...
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Just watch the battery state of charge... Get below 75% SOC, think about starting the genset next morning.

Go below 50% SOC, think about cutting loads and starting the genset up.

Sounds like you are having a blast! :D

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 54d18
    Options

On Saturday night, after having used saw etc., with the
    lights and TV on, and fridge doing its thing, I was at a
    battery voltage of 12.4, this should be good while under load
    shouldn't it?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Probably... Do you have a good set of measurements of the specific gravity when new/fully charged? Do you have a battery monitor or something else to monitor your battery bank's state of charge?

Regarding voltage measurements--Trust, but verify. ;)

Confirm that your meter(s) are accurate and consistent.

Battery resting voltage (after a few hours of no-load/charging) is the only time you can estimate the state of charge by measuring voltage (temperature compensated if the batteries are not close to 77F temperature).

Not trying to burst your bubble. I am just paranoid with taking proper care of batteries. A few wrong steps and your 8 year life bank becomes a 2 year or less bank. :cry:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset