what kind of solar to start with??

dmew
dmew Registered Users Posts: 6

Im new to all of this and just want to start adding a few at a time with a grid tie inverter to start with. I thought about making my own but Im not going to risk it. if it was for my shop and so forthe I really would not care but its going on my house . I was looking at a few over at Sun Electronics Miami on the web site but the ones on ebay now. a few low cost 110w to 200w to start with

100 Watt Solar Panel GEPV-100
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Watt-Solar-P...item255d784fa6

Solar Panel 110W SUN-ES-EC-110
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solar-Panel-110W...item5adc261a10

Solar Panel 100Watt DA100-A2
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solar-Panel-100W...item255d783f65

the volts seem really high on the last one

and what size of a grid tie inverter will I have to get to start with a few of them thanks any info would be great

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: what kind of solar to start with??

About the smallest grid-tie set-up you could have would be with an Enphase or similar micro-inverter. That would be 190-240 Watt panel. And all grid-tie has to be utility approved install, and may not be allowed in your area.

Do you have an end goal in mind? If you're looking to learn about solar power, you might consider experimenting with a small, battery-based DC-only set-up to provide power for a few lights or radio or such. Just so you get the hang of it, so to speak. :D
  • dmew

so I could not start with the smaller ones like 3 or 4 100 or 120 with say a 500 watt grid tie inverter? I live in ohio not sure where to find any info on it here look a few time but really cant find much.

I would like to in the end I would ike it to hel out with the bill here and there untill I can get the whole set up
  • Cariboocoot

The Enphase at around 190/200 Watts is the smallest you can get. They work on the "one panel, one inverter" principle. For multiple panels you'd go up to something like this SunnyBoy:
    http://store.solar-electric.com/suboy70700wa.html

For these multi-panel inverters you need the right amount of panel both in terms of supplying the Wattage and the necessary minimum Voltage. Panels tend to be "12 Volt" or "24 Volt" and the inverters may require 200 Volts minimum to operate.

Bill can explain this better; he's quite the expert in grid-tie. :D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Bottom line with grid tie, the economy of scale rules. For example, a 2 kw system might cost $8/watt installed, with permits, engineering etc. A 200 watt system might be (WAG) $20/watt. Consider the permit/engineering costs are about the same for the larger system.

Tony
  • dmew

so in other words if your not going to spend the big money up front its not worth it? so you are not aloud to have a few of them up in your yard and add a few at a time. I guess thats why most people dont have them now. how do I find out if I can have them or not?

this is looking like a bummer!;)
  • Cariboocoot
    dmew wrote: »
    so in other words if your not going to spend the big money up front its not worth it? so you are not aloud to have a few of them up in your yard and add a few at a time. I guess thats why most people dont have them now. how do I find out if I can have them or not?

this is looking like a bummer!;)

It is a bummer, all right. :cry:

As Tony said, on a cost-per-Watt basis a small system is costly. Economies of scale and all that. The reason why most people don't have grid tie is that even a big system produces power at a cost of about $0.50 per kilowatt hour, so what's your local grid rate? Probably no place near that.

Would it save you money on your electric bill? Yes. Would it save you money over-all? No.

To find out what is/isn't allowed you have to contact your local utility.

The other option is to use an even more expensive battery-based system, and take some of your loads off the grid entirely. Since they typically produce power at a cost of $1.00 per kilowatt hour, this makes even less economic sense.

And now you know why the world isn't suddenly switching over to solar everywhere. It may be "green", but your bank account won't be. :cry:
  • dmew

I talked to the aep here in ohio they are senting me info but she told me that I can add it my self and the would have a guy come out and look at it hummm I really dont know about that part..most of what I want to do ins have a few on the back roof about 400watts to start with. she said it will be to small at first to add the other meter untill I have enough to push back into it. well that will be a while. will the online 12 or 24 volt grid ties the pug right into a wall out let work? it seems alot of people are useing them now. most of the work I will do my self with help from a friend. and I cant find amy info on laws here that stop you fron having them. and I work for the city and cant find any bi law on it!
  • dmew

:Dhaha thanks I hear ya. yep sound like it would be a simple thing but really its not
  • Cariboocoot
    dmew wrote: »
    I talked to the aep here in ohio they are senting me info but she told me that I can add it my self and the would have a guy come out and look at it hummm I really dont know about that part..most of what I want to do ins have a few on the back roof about 400watts to start with. she said it will be to small at first to add the other meter untill I have enough to push back into it. well that will be a while. will the online 12 or 24 volt grid ties the pug right into a wall out let work? it seems alot of people are useing them now. most of the work I will do my self with help from a friend. and I cant find amy info on laws here that stop you fron having them. and I work for the city and cant find any bi law on it!

You can do it yourself - providing you follow all the guidelines in what is known as the National electrical Code (NEC). It makes Tolstoy's War And Peace look like an abridged pocket version of short stories. :p

But seriously; there are rules about how much you can back-feed a breaker, which is why those "plug-and-play" versions aren't such a good idea. Can the outlet you plugged it in to handle that? Keeping in mind its breaker is connected to other outlets/fixtures. Gets a bit tricky, and possibly unsafe.

As far as local building codes/bi-laws are concerned, they'd only be interested in the structural and aesthetic aspect, and should be able to give you answers about both. Normally, one panel isn't going to weigh anything to a roof (if it's built right) unless you're in a bad weather area where wind or snow might be a concern.

In truth, spending the same money on any conservation effort would be better.
  • dmew

yep I have the new book right now haha its a pain. yes I have 5 20amp plugs all to there self in a 100amp sub panel. I have all new wireing in my house and I had them do that for a shop I was going to build but never did .

Im looking at a few wire ones Ill have to see

I have all 13 watt bulb and 6 new led bulbs you cant tell them apart from the others they are 4 watt each they replace a 60watt

oh my average a month is 1392 kwh but most of the time is less