labor cost?

Options
First off, hello everyone!

I'm new to solar, but have read quite a bit in the last week or so. I'm from DC and DC offers $3.0 per watt (first 3.0 kw-$2 after)..now I've gotten a couple of quotes and what I can't figure out is why installation cost so much...not the panels, inverter, racks..but the labor. I've priced out several systems from online suppliers and after that labor cost around 9-10K? is that right.

One of the better quotes was a 3.15 kw system (210w Schuco panels) and a sunnyboy 4000 inverter. But that is roughly 6.4 cents per watt (if my math is correct)-but I've also gotten quotes near 8 cents per watts. I can buy a grid tie systems around the same or larger-major name panels- for roughly $11,000. Why does the actual labor cost 9K?

Am I able to buy online and find a reputable contractor/electrician to install in for less? Has anyone done this? is this something to be avoided?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to reading and asking and helping where I can. Awesome forum.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: labor cost?

I guess people in lower cost regions of the US are getting GT quotes in the $6 per watt range (turn-key--fully installed and operational, including permits, installations, etc.) for a straight forward install.

$6.40 to $8 per Watt seems like a reasonable spread... 5 years ago, I paid around $9+ per watt for my 3kW GT system south of San Francisco CA before the $2.50 per watt state rebate and 10% federal...

GT System prices have been coming down while raw material and labor costs have been going up...

Short of doing it yourself--Which some people have done--Not sure what you can do other than get another quote.

Note that many "local" rebates/credits require the use of licensed solar installers/contractors of some sort--So self installs may reduce some local rebates (Federal tax credit, will cover self install costs).

List of local, state, and federal rebates/credits/and laws

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options

1BOG is negotiating basic install prices in the $5/DC watt range now. Some well under that.

Pretty amazing. These install crews must be getting very efficient - a poster here posted some video of his install - impressive how fast and efficiently they got everything done.

If prices keep on falling as projected - it's possible we'll be seeing systems in the $3/watt range - the next big hurdle is minimizing labor for these installs as that will very soon be the dominant factor in the price of PV.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

Well...the installer usually isn't just supplying labor. Wire, conduit, screws, clamps, wire nuts, etc. usually comes off the installer's truck.

Then you've got insurance (several kinds) including workman's comp, which can be expensive, and real electrical contractors usually have liability insurance up in the million dollar or more range (bit like doctors really).

Then of course there's licensing fees (you want a licensed contractor right?) and quite a bit of other overhead as well - do they have an office, warehouse, yard to park the trucks or do they work out of their garage?

Do some overcharge - naturally. But most reputable electrical contractors prices are fair and reasonable. Not cheap no, but reasonable.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Yea, that was basically my question: Is 9K resonable for labor on a 3.15kw system?
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know. If the total job cost works out to 6.4 cents per watt, that sounds in the ballpark from what I've read here.

I'd have to basically work up my own estimate to determine how far off (if at all) the estimate you have is.

It's fair and acceptable to ask for references. In my opinion, not nearly enough people follow though and actually *check* references.

If you talk to others who that contractor has done work for, and even better go see their installations, then you'll be on top of the game.