magnum me2012

eva
eva Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
HI all, Anyone had any experience with the magnum inverters??? Thanks, eva

Comments

• eva
    magnum inverters

Hi, Does anyone have any experience with or heard much about the magnum inverters? specifically the me2012?? Or any of the modified sine wave models??
    Thanks
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: magnum me2012

Oops... Niel was deleting the duplicate post and I was merging them into one thread. :roll:

Just post your question (and related questions) in one thread. It keeps us moderators sane. :roll:

Regarding Magnum--I have heard good things about them here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

eva,
    if you are wondering about something specific that you are concerned with about the inverter then if we dummies can't answer it then know that halfcrazy and boB are affiliated with magnum (correct me if i'm wrong guys) and may be able to answer.

bb,
    same wavelength, different method.:roll::p
  • eva

Thanks Neil,
    It would be nice if they piped in. I was told that since Xantrex was aquired by snyder, they ended production here and now it is all done in china. It seems some things made in china are pretty inconsistant and I don't just mean in energy products, but basic yard equipement, tools, cosmetics, toys etc. So I was considering magnum. But the people I know have no experience with their products so are leery. Hence my inquiry.Thanks for any help or opinions. The use would be in a hot climate. off grid. out of the country, so the warrenty is of little use incase of failure.
  • niel

well you will be happy to know that boB and robin (brothers) formed the original outback company. the designs and such for the original outback products came from them and they are now with midnight solar. i'm not sure of all of the ins and outs with companies and affiliations, but magnum is good.
  • chevenstein
    chevenstein Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭

I've been off grid with a Magnum 4448AE for almost a year now and had only one problem: the first inverter I received malfunctioned but Magnum replaced it with little hassle and we've been fine since.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I bought an MS2812 over two years ago. There was a typo error at their website pages on whether a remote was included (s'posed to be an option, the page said included). I posted here about it. They corrected the website and also shipped me a remote at no charge.

I was very happy with it and I bought a second MS2812 last year with another remote. I have my home split into two circuits (1) lights, entertainment and A/C and (2) appliances. Both inverters have been working flawlessly.

These inverters cannot have any settings changed without a remote, unlike any other inverter I've owned. Search and charge parameters are set differently on my two inverters but couldn't have been without the remotes.

The first remote's backlight didn't work (Magnum offered to send me another but I declined, thanked them again for giving me that one, and explained that I'm able to read the screen without a backlight).

The second remote, although looking ALMOST identical, was built with a slightly larger display screen and has functioned perfectly including the backlight. The two remotes are mounted a couple of inches apart and comparing the two is the only way to notice that they are using a different LCD screen, I'm guessing because they had a backlight problem with the earlier versions?

Were I to need another inverter, I'd order a Magnum again (unless the reason I needed another was an early failure of one these).

Phil
  • eva

Thanks for your input Solar Panda.\

I decided to go with the Magnum and a remote.
  • niel
    eva wrote: »
    Thanks for your input Solar Panda.\

I decided to go with the Magnum and a remote.

he is PhilS and solar panda is just a redundant status name based on the number of posts one has.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

You can not go wrong with Magnum for the money. The Xantrex XW line is built in china and crated and shipped here makes you wonder about quality control. Also to clarify boB nor I are affiliated with Magnum boB worked for them for a spell and I use a lot of there products.
  • niel

"Also to clarify boB nor I are affiliated with Magnum boB worked for them for a spell and I use a lot of there products. "

ok, my goof. sorry for the misnomer.
  • CVN-71
    CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭

I have a magnum 4024, with remote. Been in use for only 6 months but no problems at all.
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    You can not go wrong with Magnum for the money. .

I have asked this question elsewhere in this forum; but since I have not gotten specific, clear, and straightforward answers yet, I asked it here once again:
    Will (or can) a modified wave inverter harm in any way, or even damage, a new lcd tv, a new refrigerator, or (and this is much more important for me) my sanyo mini-split air conditioner?

Are some “modified waves” better than others? Are MAGNUMS MSW better, or more reliable, in said respect, than a Samlex, or an Aims?

Please, do not redirect me to NAWS article about inverters; I have read it, and many others, many times. What I would really like is your honest opinion, because, for $1,100 (NAWS price for a Magnum 1800) I am seriously considering putting away my new GO POWER piece of junk and replace it with that unit (until I win the lotto and buy the Outback).
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    JESSICA wrote: »
    I have asked this question elsewhere in this forum; but since I have not gotten specific, clear, and straightforward answers yet, I asked it here once again:
    Will (or can) a modified wave inverter harm in any way, or even damage, a new lcd tv, a new refrigerator, or (and this is much more important for me) my sanyo mini-split air conditioner?

Yes. Probably won't do the TV any harm (other possibly generating some noise) but anything with an AC induction motor such as a refrigerator or air conditioner is going to draw more power, run hotter, and shorten the lifespan. A more specific answer can't be given because of the various motors and inverters available.
    Are some “modified waves” better than others? Are MAGNUMS MSW better, or more reliable, in said respect, than a Samlex, or an Aims?

Yes. I presume you are referring to the waveform output, rather than general quality (to which there's also a difference). Some will have more "steps" to the waveform, thus more closely simulating the sine wave. Unfortunately this is a piece of information manufacturers don't seem to make readily available. At least I've never seen it. That makes it something of a crap shoot. A good quality inverter (Magnum as opposed to AIMS) is likely to have a better waveform, but there's no guarantee of that.

(It's inevitable that someone will disagree with me on some or all of these points. So go ahead. :p )
    Please, do not redirect me to NAWS article about inverters; I have read it, and many others, many times. What I would really like is your honest opinion, because, for $1,100 (NAWS price for a Magnum 1800) I am seriously considering putting away my new GO POWER piece of junk and replace it with that unit (until I win the lotto and buy the Outback).

Personally I'd like to see a web site with lots of test data on various inverters, including pictures of the scope showing the output waveform. Anybody know of one?
  • niel

i'm sure it has been said elsewhere on this forum, but i don't recall if you were specifically answered or not elsewhere. i might add cariboocoot made a fine answer for you.
    reiterating some of what he said i can say that it is unlikely to have your lcd tv damaged by a modsine inverter anymore-so than a sine wave would, but that does not always mean all lcd tvs will operate right or correctly under all modsine inverters as they just won't be damaged. as to the refrig and ac these can be damaged. i won't say with definity that damage will occur as it can indeed vary by inverter and appliance product used, but minimally extra power and heat will be dissipated by the appliances involved. remember heat is the enemy for products to last and damage may not be as readily seen as it may just rear its head as a shortened product lifespan.
    as to getting rid of your, as you put it, "go power junk" that depends. if it is an inverter that is modsine then going to a sine wave inverter is always a good idea with the appliances you have in mind to run. do understand that there are differences in inverters and all can theoretically be considered modsine. we make a distinction for those that output a waveform that is consistent with the same requirements as that for utility electrics for their total harmonic distortion or thd and they must be at 5% thd or less. an inverter then at 5% or less thd qualifies as equivalent to what you may plug into at home.
    are there differences? yes, i'm sure there are, but as coot said, they often aren't publishing those differences. if you find a modsine inverter that gives a spec of 6% thd, this is just outside of what is considered to be sine wave and would be a quality modsine inverter waveform as opposed to another that may be at say for example 10% thd. both may or may not cost similarly or they may have other features. would such a 6% thd modsine inverter be worth it? maybe, as the sine wave one being compared to may only be say 4.5% thd and way higher in cost. many of the ones we are familiar with from xantrex, outback, magnum, etc are usually 3% or better and often have their thd published as it is good enough of something to have in the limelight.
    should one worry in my example that 6% is still out of range and is not being considered a sine wave inverter? if you know it is 6% then i would not worry and i would use it. it would be true that it would have 1.5% more thd to dissipate over my example sine wave inverter with 4.5%, but in the mix of things that difference may still be too insignificant to worry about. it would be double the thd over the many sine wave inverters we are familiar with though. it is rare to see the thd specs on modsine inverters as many aren't something to be proud of, but for the designation of sine wave you know the thd is lower and at least utility comparable.
  • JESSICA
    Yes. Probably won't do the TV any harm (other possibly generating some noise) but anything with an AC induction motor such as a refrigerator or air conditioner is going to draw more power, run hotter, and shorten the lifespan. A more specific answer can't be given because of the various motors and inverters available.
    [I added the underline]

Thanks.

However, my sanyo mini-split is the "inverter type", which means its motor runs on DC, not AC. (There is a loooong thread about it in this forum.) Could it be harmed anyway?
    (I guess "inverter type" air conditioners just convert AC into DC before current reaches the motor/compressor. If my guess is right, then, could a msw inverter, like the magnum 1800 rd, harm the motor, or whatever part there is inside the unit that transforms AC into DC?
  • BB.

Actually, depending on how the front end of a Sanyo electronics are designed--It may run quite well on an MSW inverter. They should have a power factor corrected input and these can be fine on MSW.

I think a couple people here have already contacted Sanyo with other questions--and they sound pretty responsive--Perhaps call them directly.

Also, you could try a Kill-a-Watt meter on them and see what it shows. If the Sanyo shows 0.95 to 1.0 Power Factor and you don't see a large difference between the reading on Grid / TSW power vs MSW (i.e., they both show 300 watts on low, XXX watts on high, etc.)... Then the mini-splits should be OK. However, there are different ways of achieving PF~1.0--So it is difficult to predict how the units will perform.

However, that is an expensive piece of hardware and not many people will have both MSW and TSW sources of power to do the test...

It is an opinion, and I would say contacting Sanyo is the best thing to do.

Testing the unit yourself could result in some expensive repairs if it turns out they don't like MSW power.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What year is it right now? About 15 years ago the need to risk inverter damage to sensitive electronics was pretty much eleiminated. You can not afford to not do things the best way possible in this regard! I suspect that because you are grid tied you still have not learned this lesson. The first time you go back to candles is all it takes. I can not say it any nicer.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Cariboocoot

Magnum ME2012 about $1120: http://store.solar-electric.com/maenme20wams.html

Magnum MS2012 about $1600: http://store.solar-electric.com/maenms2020wa.html

$500 buys piece of mind and a sure-thing for running any equipment. :D
  • BB.

I should add that the Inverter based A/C systems are not "DC Powered" compressors.

They are really a VFD -- Variable Frequency Drive system.... The AC power goes into (I am guessing here) a "front end" that converts incoming power to 300+ volts of DC power (it is the "front end" where the power factor control would be). Then the DC power is then converted by a three phase inverter to varying frequency 3 phase power used to drive the 3 phase compressor motor.

Variable-frequency drive

This allows the system greater controller and to pick efficient operating points for the compressor by adjusting the speed to the cooling (or heating) load requirements (instead of pump 100% on, then 100% off cycling to match capacity to requirements). It also allows them to soft start the motor (which Dave's measurements seem to support) by ramping up the frequency/pump RPM relatively slowly.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot

Functionally, converting AC to DC and then back to AC eliminates the main induction motor/MSW problem: it changes the shape of the magnetic field. Presumably they have this well-regulated like a computer's supply (which actually adjusts output Voltage by altering the interim frequency) so the impurity of the input power shouldn't matter.

Or then again maybe not. I didn't build it.:p
  • PhilS
    [I added the underline]

Thanks.

However, my sanyo mini-split is the "inverter type", which means its motor runs on DC, not AC. (There is a loooong thread about it in this forum.) Could it be harmed anyway?
    (I guess "inverter type" air conditioners just convert AC into DC before current reaches the motor/compressor. If my guess is right, then, could a msw inverter, like the magnum 1800 rd, harm the motor, or whatever part there is inside the unit that transforms AC into DC?

I am very grateful to DaveSparks for his original post about the Sanyo mini-splits. I've made measurements for him.

I CAN measure my Sanyo through a Kill-A-watt if it'd be meaningful for you JESSICA. Because of the way my system is configured, I can "plug" my Sanyo into a Xantrex SW2512 (56 step inverter) and take readings for you, too. I'm not totally adequate in understanding the PF factors, but I seem to remember one of the Kill-A-Watt buttons measures that. If a reading will help you, I'd be glad to do it.

Just understand, here at my office I'm on lightening-fast DSL (the telephone switching station is across the street). At home, I'm on 26.4kBps dialup and often don't even turn the computer on weekends. Lemme know today if I can help and I will. Otherwise, I'll help next week.

I have an old MSW inverter (Heart Interface) but it's in the garage and I can't hook it up to take measurements. How many "steps" does your inverter have?

I would not be concerned with my 56 step inverter, I would be concerned with one that does 2 or 4 or 8. That being said, I moved to my first Magnum when I went from propane to electric refrigeration. And I was surprised when our microwave performed noticebly better on the Magnum than the Xantrex.

Lemme know if I can help.

Phil
  • JESSICA
    PhilS wrote: »

I CAN measure my Sanyo through a Kill-A-watt if it'd be meaningful for you JESSICA. Because of the way my system is configured, I can "plug" my Sanyo into a Xantrex SW2512 (56 step inverter) and take readings for you, too. I'm not totally adequate in understanding the PF factors, but I seem to remember one of the Kill-A-Watt buttons measures that. If a reading will help you, I'd be glad to do it.

Lemme know if I can help.
    Phil

It is always a pleasure to know people who understand the meaning of courtesy and kindness. Thanks, Phil.

Nevertheless, it will not be necessary, first because I have my own kill-a-watt meter, and second, because I realize Caribooocoot’s advise is indeed a piece of true wisdom: “$500 buys piece of mind and a sure-thing for running any equipment..”

Thus, I better wait until I have the money to buy the “real thing”.

My psychological problem comes from the fact that I am really upset with myself, because I put $800 in a new pure sine inverter (the Go Power) that I cannot use to power my Sanyo because output voltage is just too low, and thus, a lot of sun power goes to waste from midday to around 4:00 PM. I will not risk my sanyo running it under voltage.

Thanks for your advise and your kind offer.

César.
  • PhilS
    My psychological problem comes from the fact that I am really upset with myself, because I put $800 in a new pure sine inverter (the Go Power) that I cannot use to power my Sanyo because output voltage is just too low, and thus, a lot of sun power goes to waste from midday to around 4:00 PM. I will not risk my sanyo running it under voltage.
    César.

I've been off-grid for over 30 years and am still making these mistakes, so don't beat yourself up too much over it.

When I installed my mini-split, I put it on our lights/entertainment circuit and bought a ProWatt 2.0 (replaced a ProSine 1.0). When the Sanyo was running full on, the tv, a few lights and sat, all I had to do was turn on 100w of lights to trip the Prowatt off. Dang. But I didn't need a charger, only an inverter. Ended up with another Magnum 2812 and just dont use the charge part. Of course, I can swap with my other one if its charge function malfunctions. Redundancy is always a good thing.

I replaced a ProSine 1.0 in our RV with the ProWatt 2.0 so we can use the microwave when we are "camping". Now I have 2 ProSines in the garage (plus an antique Heart Interface). Off-grid is a constant learning experience. I've learned to live with that. Seems like you are almost to that same place.

Phil
  • andyrud
    andyrud Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭

I installed my Magnum 2812 True wave inverter about 4 or 5 years ago and I have not had a bit of problems with it. I guess the bigest problem with 2800 watts is that it beckons to you to find more stuff to hook up to it! Good inverter. The only negative thing is it uses more power at idle than it's competators.

Andy
  • JESSICA

Are MAGNUM inverters sealed, like Outbacks?
  • Cariboocoot
    Are MAGNUM inverters sealed, like Outbacks?

I'm not sure if they're actually sealed like an FX or other OB "marine" unit, but the blurb does say they're suitable for Mobile, RV, Off-grid, and Marine applications so they should be comparable in that respect. NAWS would know for certain; you could contact them directly.
  • JESSICA

Cariboocoot:

What I had in mind was "sealed" as in sealed against insects, roaches, roedents, etc.

Maybe the Administrator could answer this question.

Thanks.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Looking at the manufactures website:

"Exhaust Air Vent - ventilation openings that allows heated air to be removed by the
    internal cooling fan."

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals/Inverters/64-0002%20Rev%20A%20%28ME%20Series%29.pdf page 10 of the pdf manual
  • JESSICA
    Took less than a minute looking at the manufactures website to find

"Exhaust Air Vent - ventilation openings that allows heated air to be removed by the
    internal cooling fan."

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals/Inverters/64-0002%20Rev%20A%20%28ME%20Series%29.pdf page 10 of the pdf manual

Took less than 30 seconds to post my question here!... and have a friend looking up the answer for me.

Thanks.