Extended Warranty - To get or not to get

Elke
Elke Solar Expert Posts: 28
I am wondering whether to purchase the extended warranty for the Xantrex XW4024 inverter and the Xantrex MPPT-60. The extended warranty would add 5 years to the already included 5 years of standard warranty to a total of 10 years. The price is $400 for the inverter and $95 for the MPPT-60. Any opinion or recommendation on that?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Extended Warranty - To get or not to get

hmmm. good question.
    now in 10 years parts availability will probably be non-existent and it will be rendered obsolete as has happened before. now if the wording is such that they could substitute current technology as a replacement for outdated stuff then i'd say ok, but if it isn't in the warranty language i would not do it. do not go by the word of a salesman or even a rep as it must be stated in writing or it simply isn't so.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I agree with Niel about the technology becoming obsolete and possibly even unrepairable before the warranty expires.

In more generalized terms, extended warranties are rarely worth the money (Consumer Reports' conclusion). You're just buying insurance against failure. Chances are the thing will last that long anyway, or the company wouldn't be taking the risk.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I'd say inverter yes, charge controller no ... The Inverter is 3000 and will be very expensive to fix should the need arise, the charge controller, if it pops, just by another one as you have more options anyways