SmartEnergyUSA and SolarWorld reliability

Have you had experience with SmartEnergyUSA (installers) and SolarWorld (with SMA inverters)?

The Panel is the SW240 mono. We have a small house (which is why the high efficiency panels) with good SSE exposure. We are deliberately doing overkill because I want to buy an EV when I get an idea of how they are doing. Also might use more solar for heat (currently natural gas).

Also considered Schuco (German) with Enphase inverters - from different company called California Solar. I know Schuco is respected.

The price on the SolarWorld system is better than that we were quoted for less than comparable systems. I like the fact that SolarWorld is manufactured in the US. Was interested in Enphase inverters because they are local to us, but consultant is strong on SMA.

Any wisdom will be welcome.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: SmartEnergyUSA and SolarWorld reliability

glad to hear you are interested in doing all of this, but i have to tell you that i don't think your roof will be big enough to hold it all no matter if it is efficient as some of it may need to go into your yard. i don't know the size of your roof or yard and i can understand your need for efficiency, but does the installer feel it can all be done on the roof? homes and evs draw a great deal of power and each would have a sizable pv system going for it for their respective loads, but adding solar thermal to that and it would be problematic to a normally sized roof. now you did not say if you were off the grid or not, but i'm going to assume you are grid tied and so as to charging the ev it is a pain to not be able to drive it during the sunny hours because it is still charging. this can be solved by just making the gt system extra large to sell power to the utility during the day. this will allow you to use up that power at night for the charging of the ev or whatever time is convenient for charging so that you can drive it at any time you feel it is needed.
    as to what may be more efficient than another i'll let everybody else have at it with that as that is splitting hairs being it will not add that much extra power or room to your roof for other ventures.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

You don't have to worry about the size of roof. We know there is enough room. Currently, we are using a tiny amount of electric - range is 230 to 540 kwh/month - but usually it's under 300 kwh. We are in northern CA (mild climate), have HE washer, compact fluorescent bulbs, tankless gas water heater, gas heat (1 floor heater - 100 year old house). Planning on a system that will produce over 5000 kwh/year, and it WILL fit. We've had 4 or 5 estimates complete with design. Polycrystalline might not fit, but mono should be fine. In a pinch, the back of the house faces SW, so that is an option for overflow. ;)

I do want to know if anyone has experience with SmartEnergyUSA and SolarWorld.

Thanks.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

SMA now has a plant located in Colorado so they now count as American made too.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I have used a fair share of solar world modules and I really like them. Never had an issue at all but then again I have had no trouble with other manufacturers.
  • Braden
    Braden Registered Users Posts: 9

Solar World has had very strong showings in Photon Magazine's yearly panel production tests (if you go to Solar World's website, they are very proud of this fact and will show you).

Also, unless the installer has the SW panels in their wearhouse, the panels are now shipping at 245, and SW claims they will be 250s by the end of the year.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

I am about to buy some additional panels, and SolarWorld is at the top of my list ... I like Mono panels, and have had good luck with the Shell 175s for 5.5 years (SW bought Shell's panel business).

Have been told by several vendors that SW has not yet made 240s, just 235 and 245 for now (in the US anyway), eventho, SW states that they bin finished panels into 5 Watt increment bins.

Personally, I would have no real problems specing SW Mono panels, they do have a 25 year power warranty and a 5 year product warranty, while some other producers have only 20 year power and one or two year product warranty.

The only nit that I've seen in reading the warranty is that they want to be notified within 14 days of any product defect requiring warranty coverage. May not be a problem, as most panels do work well for decades, but seems like might be a way to try to weasel out of claims ... dunno. Warranties are only as good as the companies behind them.

Good Luck with your new system. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.