xantrx gen transfer

xantrex 6048 does it act as it 's own gen transfer switch?

mike

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: xantrx gen transfer

Yes, it has a (60 amp?) internal 120/240 VAC transfer switch.

The only "external" hardware needed (excluding the solar charge controller and wiring system) may be the automatic generator controller module.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In the xw's unmodified or stock configuration it will only transfer 240VAC actually.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• matchstc
    matchstc Registered Users Posts: 24

so if If i run the 4 wire ext cord from my gen use the 2 hots and and neutral and just ground the green?

mike
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

What both Dave and I wrote are correct (as I understand it). North American power is split phase 120/240--So the inverter's internal transfer switch will switch both 120/240.

However, the stock XW system only operates with a 120/240 VAC genset--It will not operate correctly with a 120 VAC only genset.

There is apparently a modification/firmware update that allows the XW to be converted from 240 VAC to 120 VAC genset operation--but the output voltage then remains at 120 VAC too (again, from the little I know about the product).

And, yes you are correct--you just need to connect the two hots+neutral+safety ground. Plus you need to hook up the autostart hardware (if you need/want autostart).

The XW Hybrid inverter will manage the transfer/charging from the genset.

Note--From what I have read/understand here--it is very difficult to convert a manual electric start genset (say a Honda eu3000i) to a full automatic start genset... You are usually much better off to purchase a genset with autostart already wired up instead.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • matchstc
    matchstc Registered Users Posts: 24

thank you this answrs my question , the gen does have electrical start nbut not autostart that I know of.