Where Do You Have Your Battery Bank Located & Why?

Options
2»

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Where Do You Have Your Battery Bank Located & Why?

you 2 guys in california don't usually see the real low temps that tennessee can get in the winter. averages can be deceiving as it does no good on that occasional dip into the single digits or even below. that shed floor will really be cold. even if the op does not do anything else they should be in that shed. what car batteries do in the winter time in your area is an indicator what your batteries will endure. if you see people with hard starts or even failures occurring there in the winter then the same will apply to these batteries out in the elements. common sense.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

KISS,

Keep as much direct heat off the batteries by providing shade for the battery box, place it on the earth if heat is an issue, or on a insulated pad if cold is an issue, provide plenty of fresh air and you will be fine. Batteries will approach ambient average temperature no matter where they are, and indeed perhaps a few degrees higher due to internal heating.

If

There is always the risk of making this too complicated.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For me, HEAT is the issue, as our Winter lows are only down to about +15 F. BUT, the Root Cellar, or Bermed room will provide cooler summers and warmer winters, as these structures are very closely coupled to the moderating temperature influence of the Earth.

The lowest temperature that I've seen for my bank is 6 degrees Celcius -- about 43 F. Pleanty warm enough for me, but this is not the upper Midwest. A well insulated room, plus the mass of the batteries will help moderate swings in temperature, but if the lows last enough days, then some form of heat might be required to help the bank maintain capacity, if in an exposed structure., for the Winter, and some ventilation/cooling for the Summer will help, but considering coupling to the earth is probably the most efficient of all.

Yes, it is possible to worry too much about battery temps, however, batteries seem to be expensive, to me, so, trying to keep them happy can actually pay. Being retired, there are not many things that pay me, so I will obsess.

YMMV Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.