crimp connectors?

Options
htwheelz67
htwheelz67 Registered Users Posts: 14
I have a morningstar mppt 15 controller, If I have to use #6 wire where can I find connectors that will fit in the small spaces of the controller, the ones that fit seem to be the #10 spade connectors, where do you get crimp connectors that you can use with 6-8 gauge wire that will fit into the controllers small connections? or do I just trim the larger cable to fit a #10 connector and solder it? Is welding cable the preferred wire?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Re: crimp connectors?

In general, just use regular stranded (for larger gauge) house wiring type NEC rated from the local home center. And trim off a few strands to make it fit the smaller connector/crimp.

Proper crimping (in my humble opinion) is better than soldering (others may disagree here).

Welding cable wire is so finely stranded, that it is difficult to properly crimp or use the binding posts in a charge controller. I would only recommend welding cable if you need very flexible wire for some reason.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • htwheelz67
    htwheelz67 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Options

I like to crimp, solder and use heat shrink tubing, I did it on my old mustang moving the battery to the trunk but that was kind of what I thought.

This forum is great, thanks for your help.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

Why would you use #6 on a 15 amp charge controller connection? , #12 is fine?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

actually this has to do with another thread he started.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?p=63051#post63051
    my last recommendation for him at the distances involved for the pvs was #10, but the output side of the cc should be heavier for him given the initial distance he stated to the batteries introducing voltage drops. it does pose a problem given the screw lugs don't handle much wire thickness. i might suggest a wire nut or a small bus type connection and then run a short length pigtail of say #10 to the controller. this suggestion is a bit unorthodox, but you could whittle down the end to fit the connection too, but take away any physical stress the wire may introduce off of the controller.