is their a web site that lists current pricing and sources

Options
or has any one done the shopping and can recomend best $ per watt
i have 2 panels on a tracking mount and may be expanding as i have space for one more on that mount. and may start trying to load up the garage roof.

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: is their a web site that lists current pricing and sources
    kev1n wrote: »
    or has any one done the shopping and can recomend best $ per watt
    i have 2 panels on a tracking mount and may be expanding as i have space for one more on that mount. and may start trying to load up the garage roof.

Since this forum is paid for and supported by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, this would not an appropriate place to list all of NAWS competitor's and their prices.

For comparison shopping, I suggest Google.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    dwh wrote: »
    Since this forum is paid for and supported by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, this would not an appropriate place to list all of NAWS competitor's and their prices.

For comparison shopping, I suggest Google

yea i get it. but helpfull forum members could at least let me know if such a site exists. or is NAWS pricing that bad that they cant compete.
  • dwh
    Options
    dwh wrote: »

For comparison shopping, I suggest Google

yea i get it. but helpfull forum members could at least let me know if such a site exists.

True enough.

or is NAWS pricing that bad that they cant compete.

No, their prices aren't bad.

It's not a question of price - it's a question of being courteous to the host of the party.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Kev1n,

I sent you a PM with some information...

The reason we don't really answer "go here" for the best deals is not only out of respect for our host NAWS who funds and does the back-end software support for the forum...

It was because that some of the places typed about here started having their customers calling for supports/complaints to NAWS for help.

You will still see occasional thread about a very good deal elsewhere--and we do not delete them--but we try to keep it to a minimum.

-Bill "Moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

hmmm. hey kev1n, try going into a bar and ask those in charge who in town has the best deals on beer or for that matter any place that has a business and ask where else you can go. be careful as somebody might tell you where to go if you tried that elsewhere. now go in and talk about the beer quality, the glasses, the serving temp, etc. and they are glad to talk.
    don't get me wrong here as competition is good for the consumer, but shopping is your job.
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
    Options
    or is NAWS pricing that bad that they cant compete.

Somewhere else in this forum, I did a limited comparison.
    End results: NAWS prices are among the best.
    In fact, I have found only one vendor with better prices, in Florida, but customer service (the way they answer emails: they don't) and overall quality seems to be really poor.

I myself would strongly recommend NAWS.

P.S.: Moderators: May I know who in all heaven named me a "solar panda"? Come on! I am not even a solar "ant"! Please, remove that title, and call me, if you want, a solar apprentice.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    JESSICA wrote: »
    P.S.: Moderators: May I know who in all heaven named me a "solar panda"? Come on! I am not even a solar "ant"! Please, remove that title, and call me, if you want, a solar apprentice.

You can change the description yourself at the User Control Panel. "Solar Panda" is one of the default tags based purely on # of postings (as I understand it - it's early AM and I may not understand it, or anything else).
  • dwh
    Options
    JESSICA wrote: »
    In fact, I have found only one vendor with better prices, in Florida, but customer service (the way they answer emails: they don't) and overall quality seems to be really poor.

Excellent point - service is usually worth more than a few bucks off the price. This forum and the technical articles on the main NAWS site are worth their weight in gold.

I would buy from them solely based upon the fact that they provide these resources. I would of course compare prices, but as long as the prices were in the ballpark I wouldn't sweat a few bucks one way or the other. Confidence in the service and support more than makes up for small price differences.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

ebay is the best solution unless it is charging you bucks for shipping too. i you are talking about fixed prices then i have no idea.
  • dmiller
    dmiller Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Related question, but not about price

Is there a fully searchable database of panels? One where I can search on Voc and Vmp? The one fairly complete database I can find has very limited sort capabilities. Thanks
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dmiller wrote: »
    Related question, but not about price

Is there a fully searchable database of panels? One where I can search on Voc and Vmp? The one fairly complete database I can find has very limited sort capabilities. Thanks

not that i am aware of and that would be a good idea for not only current pv models, but those of the past. any takers that would like this challenge. the best i could come up with would be the california list of pvs, but it does not go into detail on the pvs.
    http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/pv_modules.php
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

If you know the brand and model number, you can use some of the online panel configuration programs like this one from Xantrex--It is a quick way to look up a panels Vmp/Imp ratings.

Many times, you are left with a hand full of panel options to look at--so finding the Vmp/Imp of those available panels is usually the best thing to do.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset