Generator

Options
Hi,

I need feedback in connecting a 6000 w diesel generator to my Outback VFX3648. I also have an Outback MX60, 16 Sunxtender AGM, for 700ah and 8 Sanyo Bifacial 186. I have 110v system in the house. Everything has been working fine, but many cloudy days

I have bought a 6000w diesel generator, with 61 MHz, 110v (112v) and 220v (240v.) I have set the MHz at 61, and could set it at 110v or 220 exactly. I understand I connect the genset to the inverter aux + and – with a circuit breaker. What I am not sure if it should be from the 110 or 220 outlet. Please advise. Much obliged!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Generator

I see some potentially dangerous confusion in your post. It could be me that's confused but ...

The generator does not attach to anything labeled (+) and (-) on the VFX3648. It connects to AC IN.
    The frequency of the generator's output should be 60 Hz, not MHz which is MegaHertz and indicates millions of cycles per second.
    The input Voltage should be 120 VAC, at 60 Hz.

Otherwise (and this is just my opinion) I think you're a little bit shy on panels for 700 Amp/hrs worth of batteries (I'd put it closer to 4000 Watts - perhaps 5000. Your charge rate is less than 4% as it is, if your total panel is 1488 as it seems). The MX60 will not handle the necessary Amps for a 10% charge rate (AGM's do not need as high a rate as FLA's, but there is no allowance here for loads drawing while batteries are being charged).
  • Richard Edwards
    Richard Edwards Solar Expert Posts: 27
    Options

Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely right on your points. My main concern/question was to either send 110 of 220 to the inverter. You have answered that, and I see now where to hook those wires up. If you can send me a little bit more detail on this, I would really appreciate it.

Other than that, you are right it is shy, but it would have to do for now. That is why I need to get this hooked up asap because we have had a lot of cloudy days.

If you can, please elaborate as much as possible with reference to the installation of the generator to the inverter. I really appreciate your help and truly thank you.

All the best,
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Outback's install manual is available on-line:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/pdf/manuals/fx_vfx_installation.pdf

Page 6 shows the AC connector board. Yes, it's under a plastic cover and you'll have to take a "knockout" out to run the wires in. This is the same place as the AC OUT is, so you must have done this before. :D

The important question is: do you have an Outback MATE programming unit? It is necessary to adjust the settings of the VFX for AC IN limits, charging specs, and so forth. Ideally it is connected via the Outback Hub (optional at extra cost :cry:) and can communicate with both the inverter and the charge controller so that the settings are the same on each. It also allows one Remote Temperature Sensor (around $30 and worth it) to feed battery temp info to both units.

One thing you don't need is an external transfer switch. When the VFX senses Voltage at the AC IN it will automatically switch all loads to the generator and start charging the batteries.
  • Richard Edwards
    Options

Hi,

Thanks again. I do have the Hub, the Mate and the Remote Temperature Sensor. I also have the Flexnet DC properly installed with shunts, etc. allowing for extra features. What would be the AC IN limits, charging specs, and so forth?

Thanks again!
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

For that you need a whole 'nother manual! :p
    Programming the FX series: http://www.outbackpower.com/pdf/manuals/fx_vfx.pdf

Key points:
    Make sure that the Absorb, Float, and Equalize Voltages are the same for both the charge controller and the inverter. Also the Absorb time or current cut-out settings.

The AC In upper and lower limits are probably fine right from the factory. The AC charge is odd; it's in AC Amps. The default is 18 I think, which translates to roughly 45 Amps DC charging. With your bank that too will probably work, but you might want to put it up or down depending on your battery manufacturer's recommended charge rate. There should be no trouble with a 6kW generator - usually people run very small generators and have to reduce the rate so that the generator isn't over-whelmed.

Beyond that I can't be more specific, as this is where you have to fine-tune the settings to what works best for your particular application. Just watch the batteries very carefully when you first charge them from the inverter to make sure the Voltage levels are set right and the current isn't too high or low. A battery monitor is a good idea, especially with AGM's as you can't watch the electrolyte for bubbling nor check the Specific Gravity.
  • Richard Edwards
    Options

Thank you very much! Your help has been essential. I 'll let you know how it goes.