Solar Afloat #5 Which Morningstar MPPT Controller?

Highland_Fling
Highland_Fling Solar Expert Posts: 37
Will two MS 15 Amp MPPT controllers http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sunsavermppt be MORE efficient than one MS 60 A MPPT controller http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/tristar%20mppt
assuming i am going to build up my solar in two stages

PH1 Two 100W panels OR two 185W panels in series one 15A controller

PH2 Four 100W panels OR four 185W panels in two systems with two 15A controllers OR four 185W panels in one series string with one 45A or 60A controller

I appreciate that with the two 15A controllers i will be limited to 30A total output whereas i will get a maximum of 45A from the 45A version OR a maximum of 50A if i put in the 60A model (specification figures)

I have one 15A MS MPPT Controller and another will cost $217 whereas the 45 is $414 and 60 is $521 - $197 and $304 more respectively

thoughts?

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Afloat #5 Which Morningstar MPPT Controller?

There is no penalty for using the large units in smaller configurations, it just comes down to what you want for features.

The TS-MPPT-45/60 has the same efficiency as the smaller 15 amp units as they are multi-phase and at lower power levels shutdown phases to lower switching losses.

Also, while more expensive, the 45 and 60 amp unit have double the allowable input voltage and the 60 amp unit has a built in web-server/Ethernet port.
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

I find it surprising that the new mppt units from mornistar does not come with at least a display panel. So when you want the display panel and a temp sensor you have to fork out at least another $100 for both, so the price of each unit go up by $100 if you compare it to the xw where the display is built in and the temp sensor is included. Using this comparison the xw beats the new mppt from morningstar on price (if nothing else)

cheers...
    Damani
  • Solar Guppy

Its a different feature set for the same price ... the XW doesn't have built in Ethernet or true synchronous design resulting in higher losses. The Front panel is redundant on the TS-MPPT-60 with the built in Ethernet.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Its a different feature set for the same price ... the XW doesn't have built in Ethernet or true synchronous design resulting in higher losses. The Front panel is redundant on the TS-MPPT-60 with the built in Ethernet.

I disagree My solar system is set up in my garage and I have no computer there so consequently a display is not redundant it is required. And speaking as a solar installer of mostly offgrid systems in Maine not to many of my customers want to run to a pc and look at the display especially when they have multiple displays at the solar system location.

I will agree the Morningstar controller works pretty good but I think in today's market a simple display should be standard. and maybe offer a lower cost unit if the customer does not want it for some reason.
  • halfcrazy

Also a note of caution if you are into radio at all like Amatuer radio etc the morningstar is very noisy it emits a high pitch squeal on the lower am bands. We had a guest at our booth at MREF that was complaining about it and we happened to have a working display close by with all sorts of solar stuff and we went on a hunt with out Ham Radios. the MX60 has a little noise but more like white noise and the morning stars emitted the squeal the guest was complaining about. The XW was the quietest of the bunch.
  • Highland_Fling
    Highland_Fling Solar Expert Posts: 37
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    Also a note of caution if you are into radio at all like Amatuer radio etc the morningstar is very noisy it emits a high pitch squeal on the lower am bands. We had a guest at our booth at MREF that was complaining about it and we happened to have a working display close by with all sorts of solar stuff and we went on a hunt with out Ham Radios. the MX60 has a little noise but more like white noise and the morning stars emitted the squeal the guest was complaining about. The XW was the quietest of the bunch.

OH bugger well we do have a SSB/HF set just about to be installed thanks for that heads up at least i wont have to look very hard to find what is causing the interference Was it RF or noise being transmitted along the power lines?
  • halfcrazy

RF we where using HT's and sweeping threw the building and shutting one thing off at a time. Ironically the Magnum inverter was pretty quite which surprised me.
  • Solar Guppy

Surprised at your finding Half, the MorningStar TS-Mppt-45/60 are class B certified units.

The feature set and for what price is how MorningStar choose to market the units. They do offer the TS-Mppt-45 as the "stripped down" unit, it has neither a front panel or Ethernet for a lower price.

My personal opinion is that a charge controller is just another black box, if you want system information, the external shut based meters, like the Xantrex lite or the Trimetric are much more useful as they give you actual system information such as battery state of charge.

I don't ever look at the charge controller or even the three GT inverters anymore, they just do there job day after day
  • Wilis
    Wilis Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭

I use the Magnum MS-AE inverter and Outback Flexmax 80 CC and they are about 6 feet from my ICom 756 pro II. Just on the other side of a wall. I have ran my HF radio from the solar and the grid and have not noticed any interference. K4WIL-Wilis
  • halfcrazy

Good to here Wilis how do you like the 756 pro? I need to start looking for an HF rig for the house I have a Yeasu 857 and it does well but I would like to graduate to something with a few more bells and whistles

KB1UAS
  • Wilis
    Wilis Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭

Well, Halfcrazy, I do like the Pro II. It was a $2000.00 radio but now they have the Pro III and it is about $1000.00 more. I think that is getting a little to expensive for a radio. I have a Tennadyne T12 LPDA antenna on a 50 ft tower. I did work a lot of Side band but now do mostly PSK31 when I have time. With the solar now I could be on the air with out grid. I became a Ham in 2001 and have enjoyed the hobby. What do you do with Ham radio? So we don’t use this forum for Ham radio I can be reached at K4WIL@hotmail.com or Skype name Solar1now. Wilis
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i don't want to continue along the sidetrack of radios, but i do want to mention to 1/2crazy that my kenwood ts-2000 isn't bad for the price. they do need to update the radio as the design is about a decade old and i heard through the grapevine that they intend to either next or the year after, but it all depends on what you want and how far you want to go with it as there are many radios out there to choose from.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    Good to here Wilis how do you like the 756 pro? I need to start looking for an HF rig for the house I have a Yeasu 857 and it does well but I would like to graduate to something with a few more bells and whistles

KB1UAS

Does it come standard with a display ?
  • halfcrazy

Nope they are extra only Yeasu comes standard with displays