Picture of back of tracker on UTF120 or 168

Options
farmerjohnaz
farmerjohnaz Registered Users Posts: 7
I am designing and fabbing my own top of pole mount that is the same as a passive tracker, but without the gas. I will manually move my array if I need to. I have already made one that works very well with my 8 -51w Kyoceras (you can view in my album). I am now upgrading to 16 Evergreen 205's and want 8 per pole. I have never seen the actual construction of a Zomeworks from the rear. Tried googling but found only smaller arrays and front views. So if you have the underneath view, could you send me or post the pictures?

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Picture of back of tracker on UTF120 or 168
    I am designing and fabbing my own top of pole mount that is the same as a passive tracker, but without the gas. I will manually move my array if I need to. I have already made one that works very well with my 8 -51w Kyoceras (you can view in my album). I am now upgrading to 16 Evergreen 205's and want 8 per pole. I have never seen the actual construction of a Zomeworks from the rear. Tried googling but found only smaller arrays and front views. So if you have the underneath view, could you send me or post the pictures?

I can get you a picture of a zomeworks but I have to tell you that your going to have some serious engineering challenges with the array square footage you propose. Without giving away some of my closest held proprietary advice that I save for customers, I will just say look at the Wattsun AZ225 info at their site. Keep in mind that if the array is compromised it usually damages 75% of the panels. A very nasty situation. I think you are on the right track with making the array movable. I have always thought that a fixed pole that can adjust height for latitude is a complete waste of time compared to one that can manually track the sun for seasons. There has to be two however! There is a link to some pix at my webpage where "the powerlines don't go" Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• farmerjohnaz
    Options

I am spreading them over 3 trackers now. 6 ESA-205's (max string recommended by Outback for FM80) per so that's only 101 sq'. Yes, I've already order 2 more panels. I have plenty of acreage too. Just finished my trig calcs per the Zomeworks website and they will be around 17' end to end in a North South line. And it runs south on a downgrade so that is even better. No shading issues. After I layed out the 8 panel array on the garage floor I did not want to try and fabricate somethin that large. Plus I would only have 4 per string. With the added distances, the higher voltage at 6 per string is a great help.

Still waiting for those pics guys.

The trackers are gong to be installed on 8" schedule 40, even though 6" would do. Picked up 40' for cheap from a pipe outfit that had it left over on Craigs List.
  • farmerjohnaz
    Options

I found a set of pole mount arrays at a nearby ranch and have several pictures of the tracker structure. Looks pretty easy to fabricate. This one was constructed of the tubing used for trailer hitches. Very simple design. If anyone is interested, I can post the pics in my album.

I just submitted my plans to Building and Planning in Gila County. Hope it goes smoothly. I could post some pics of the plans and do a start to finish pictorial of the installation if anyone is interested. If I get a few replies to this thread, I'll start it up.

I don't know what type of people inhabitat these solar forums, but it seems that every time I asked a question or needed info, I've gotten little response. I have gotten the old "I'm a contractor and I get paid to answer those questions" type of response.

Anyway, I'm interested in posting my install as I go for all you Joes that know you can do this but need a real hands on look. And I may just inadvertantly let out of the bag some of those "contractor" design secrets . Let me know if your interested.

By the way. I owned a Low Voltage Cable installation company and retired from it at 42. I gave my customers a complete description of the project with a detailed materials list. And I charged them for only the materials and labor used. Not the 2 number parts and labor you see from most and you don't know what your getting. A few shopped my detail around, but most didn't. The results spoke for themselves. A solid repeat customer base.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

John,

Please feel free to add the pictures here too (so far, it is easier to find things in thread vs personal albums--but maybe I have not figured them out yet :blush:)--We do get requests from people about how to build their own trackers--I don't have any, so I cannot help there.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know what type of people inhabitat these solar forums, but it seems that every time I asked a question or needed info, I've gotten little response. I have gotten the old "I'm a contractor and I get paid to answer those questions" type of response.

I haven't any responses like that on this forum.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I had more land and was to do mine again I would seriously think about a couple trackers.

I sure would like to see how this progresses.