Starting solar-based back-up system.

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Dear Forum Members,

I am totally new at this and know nothing. I would like a solar panel to power a battery array to run a couple of lights, a fan, and a radio during power blackouts in the Dallas area where I live. I am saving to build an off-grid cabin, but that's a long way in the future.

Huge open ended questions: What would you start with, and what references that are not too technical would you recommend?

Many Thanks,

Texan in the dark.

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Starting solar-based back-up system.
    Dear Forum Members,

I am totally new at this and know nothing. I would like a solar panel to power a battery array to run a couple of lights, a fan, and a radio during power blackouts in the Dallas area where I live. I am saving to build an off-grid cabin, but that's a long way in the future.

Huge open ended questions: What would you start with, and what references that are not too technical would you recommend?

Many Thanks,

Texan in the dark.

Been a while since I lived in Big D (Duncanville :D ).

How long are the blackouts? They can't last very long. You would probably be better off with a decent little generator like a Honda EU1000i or EU2000i. Or a couple of T-105 type batteries and an inverter, and then use a decent charger plugged into the wall to keep them topped off for when you need them.

Can't really see a reason to spend money on Solar for what you described.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Congratulations on your escape from Big D!

Thanks for the help. This may sound odd, but what's a T-105 type battery, and what type of inverter would you recommend ?

Thanks,

TID
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Your best plan--Start with conservation. Pick a radio that does not use much power or even has solar/rechargable battery backup.

I have a small Sony radio with head phones that will run 100-140 hours on one AA battery.

Or even a larger one like this Sony ICF-38 will run upwards of 80 hours on 4x AA batteries.

For lighting, you can get a small LED lithium CR 123 two cell flashlight that will run 100-900 hours on low/very low (very low is just enough light to not trip when walking around a dark house). They also have a two cell AA version (not quite as bright on high). Keeping with the AA battery theme--Buy a 48 pack from Costco every five years and get appliances with same battery size/type to keep things simple (you can also get AA Lithium batteries too).

And, you can get AA (or other cell type) Head Lamps--very handy to use when walking/working and you need to keep your hands free. I personally like the slightly more expensive ones that two or three+ levels of power settings. You can keep them on low to preserve batteries and only turn them on high when needed (high is generally too bright to, for example, read a newspaper).

The fan--that is a different animal... It requires a fair amount of electrical power to keep things moving. A larger battery system (storage batteries) and alternative power source (solar panels / genset / etc.).

Towards that end, you should look at ensuring that you use very energy efficient appliances to keep your battery/solar/fuel usage low.

A Kill-a-Watt meter (AC Watt*Hour meter) and/or a DC Watt/Amp*Hour meter (similar for DC powered devices) is a very handy device to plan your power needs (and for conservation to find those little power wasters we all have around our homes).

Once you know what your loads are--it is pretty straight forward to plan an emergency/off-grid supply.

There are a lot of different options out there... You can build a system from discrete components (solar charger charger, AC battery, inverter, AC transfer switch), or use Inverter/Charger/AC transfer switch and just connect a battery bank (and solar panels + charger later).

People have built their own systems (Mike90045's Solar Monolith):
    attachment.php?attachmentid=384&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752636

attachment.php?attachmentid=385&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752653

Unfortunately, Mike's instructions to make this unit have disappeared from his original link--but we can give you some suggestions of how to start.

And here is a very long thread that walks through all of the questions and answers (the best we have) for a person that was starting from ground zero:

Emergency Power

If you want to read a thread talking about the various issues of inverter, battery types, emergency power usage, etc.:

Does This System Make Sense?

Questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

T-105 batteries are also known as "golf cart" batteries... Inexpensive and typically a 3-5 year life (short service life does hurt overall costs if you are going to use the off-grid system for 10-20+ years).

Normally 6 volts and ~225 Amp*Hour capacity (20 Hour discharge rate).

Inverters... There is a whole bunch of questions/issues there...
    • Know your load:
      • Peak Watts
      • Average Watts * Hours of use
      • 24x7 AC power, or manual On/Off for inverter
      • TSW (True Sine Wave) or MSW (Modified Square/Sine Wave)
    • Application:
      • Off-Grid
      • Grid Tied
      • Hybrid (GT when AC is up, Off Grid when grid is down)
      • AC (utility or generator charging)?
    • Charging
      • AC Mains
      • Generator
      • Solar PV (or other like hydro/wind)
      • 12/24/48 volt bank (basically, ~1,200 watts max for 12 volt, 2,400 watts max for 24 volt, use 48 volt for any larger systems.
    Some information on TSW vs MSW inverters:

All About Inverters
    Choosing an inverter for water pumping

We usually recommend a TSW as they work best for small electronics, wall warts, and embedded motors (like refrigerators).

MSW inverters are much less costly--and run ~80% of the appliances out there just fine. However for ~10% or so--MSW can mean an early death for some devices...

Sometimes, a smaller TSW for the critical loads. A large MSW for the well pump and other large loads can work fine.

Once you know your loads/application/charging/battery bank voltage/capacity--you can pretty quickly narrow down what will work for you or not.

If this is a pure backup system... Get a good inverter/AC battery charger (perhaps 2 in 1 inverter+charger) and a good backup genset. Natural gas or propane if you have it, gasoline or diesel if not.

One of the big issues for people that purchase gensets is that they get very big / nice units (8kW or larger)... And their loads are actually quite small--typically 2kW or less for a small off-grid/emergency system. 8-10 kW gensets can use a minimum of around 1/2 gallon of gasoline per hour...

A smaller Honda eu2000i can run 4-9+ hours on a gallon of fuel. That can make your fuel storage problem much less with a smaller genset.

In some cases, people get two gensets... A smaller 1,000-2,000 watt (peak) for battery charging, running around the home loads, and a larger 5kW+ genset to run the well pump into a cistern or large pressure tank a couple times a day (as needed).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Congratulations on your escape from Big D!

I actually like Dallas a lot. At least I did back in '85 which was the last time I was there.

Tell you what I miss most... Pancho's. Flautas & Honey...mmmmm. And the all you can eat shrimp at the Wind Jammer.