Where to buy?

New here. Was wondering if anyone can tell me a good and reliable company that I can purchase a Morningstar 30a charge controller with the LCD display. Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Where to buy?

This forum is hosted by Northern Arizona Wind and Sun out of Flagstaff... Given that they are out of state, you can save almost 10% sales tax through the Internet.

If you are looking for somebody local--I guess you are out of Los Angeles CA--Perhaps somebody can recommend a local dealer for you.

Whether or not you make your purchases from NAWS--everyone is welcome here to ask and answer questions at they arise.

-Bill (no connection with NAWS other than as a volunteer spam remover here on the forum) B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭

Greetings:

Wherever you buy, do not, do not, never, never, buy from AltE Store. Trust me.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    JESSICA wrote: »
    Greetings:

Wherever you buy, do not, do not, never, never, buy from AltE Store. Trust me.
    So why would you say that? I have bought many different things from ALTE store with no problems. I also did business with sponsor and a few other companys with good results. The only place I ever had any problems is a certain place in Miami, Florida. They employ people that don,t speak good english and I can,t understand them. I give up on them after calling 3 separate times trying to get someone on the other end that spoke reasonable english. S:Dlarvic
  • JESSICA
    solarvic wrote: »
    So why would you say that? I have bought many different things from ALTE store with no problems. I also did business with sponsor and a few other companys with good results. The only place I ever had any problems is a certain place in Miami, Florida. They employ people that don,t speak good english and I can,t understand them. I give up on them after calling 3 separate times trying to get someone on the other end that spoke reasonable english. S:Dlarvic

Did you ever have a problem with a defective product, and asked for their help?
    All Companies are GOOD when everything is ok. Great Companies are those who stand by the costumer and help him/her, and are willing to receive back a product that was faulty from the beginning.

AltE just sucks.

P.S. Another thing: Go and compare prices. For example: Exeltech inverter (1100): NAWS: $600, AltE: $800. New 2000 watts Exeltech: NAWS: $1,300; AltE: $1,700.
    And so on.....
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

I figured you might have a reason to feel that way. I only bought a few things from ALTE when I was in a hurry to get them. AS they are only a state away from me. I agree with you about the prices bieing higher than some of the others. Most of the solar dealers I bought from were from outwext and they had product drop shipped from warehouses from the east anyway. S:Dlarvic
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thank you very much for pointing me in a good direction.
  • hmansour
    hmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    ofdjeff wrote: »
    Thank you very much for pointing me in a good direction.

Try ebay - search for DuPont Solar $1.50 per Watt for DuPont Panels.
    Or contact mindcanada.com (info@mindcanda.com) for the Canadian Distributor for DuPont Solar Panels they sell to US customers. If you order 46.4 KW shipping is Free.
  • BB.

Hmansour,

OK--got that you like/work for mindcanda... Ease up on the advertising please.

-Bill "Moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hmansour
    hmansour Registered Users Posts: 18
    BB. wrote: »
    Hmansour,

OK--got that you like/work for mindcanda... Ease up on the advertising please.

-Bill "Moderator" B.

No I am an installer who buys from them.
  • BB.

Fair enough... We try to limit "free advertising here"--The forum is funded/operated by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun--A retailer/wholesaler out of Flagstaff Az.

Niel and I (the two moderators) are purely volunteers (to watch for spam) and have no other relationship with NAWS other than what you see here.

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"If you order 46.4 KW shipping is Free."

golly gee wowser, what a deal. just buy the solar pvs for you and all of your neighbors on your street and s/h is free. oh boy.:roll:
    i hope you'd have lots of room for those things as 46.4kw in thin film would cover the area of a small town, or should i say bury it?
  • jpistrit
    jpistrit Registered Users Posts: 11

Just to toss in a customer experience, I recently bought an Exeltech XP1100 from our hosts here (Arizona Wind & Sun) for an installation in Washington State to replace a fairly crappy inverter and its working quite well. Good shipping, on time delivery and AW&S happened to be very close to the best price too (especially considering the lack of sales tax).

So, just saying, there's a real customer opinion.
  • JESSICA
    jpistrit wrote: »
    Just to toss in a customer experience, I recently bought an Exeltech XP1100 from our hosts here (Arizona Wind & Sun) for an installation in Washington State to replace a fairly crappy inverter and its working quite well. Good shipping, on time delivery and AW&S happened to be very close to the best price too (especially considering the lack of sales tax).

So, just saying, there's a real customer opinion.

jpistrit:

May you name the "fairly crappy inverter"?

By the way, just 3 days ago I tried to order a 24 volts Exeltech (Yes, yes, yes. I am a repentant sinner, a sheep that comes back home!) but I was informed they are out of stock at NAWS.
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    "If you order 46.4 KW shipping is Free."

golly gee wowser, what a deal. just buy the solar pvs for you and all of your neighbors on your street and s/h is free. oh boy.:roll:
    i hope you'd have lots of room for those things as 46.4kw in thin film would cover the area of a small town, or should i say bury it?

Uh, not at all. I know hating up on thin film is a full contact sport, but there's useful things that can be done with large amounts of thin film.

Thin film is something like 5 to 6 watts per square foot and Poly is on the order of 12.5 watts (about twice) watts per square foot. So ... if 46.4KW of thin film is going to bury a small town, 46.4KW of poly or mono will bury a hamlet. Or village. Or large subdivision. Which is not at all the case -- I could probably put 46.4KW of poly in my garage, and 46.4KW of thin film in my garage and den ;)
  • niel
    tallgirl wrote: »
    Uh, not at all. I know hating up on thin film is a full contact sport, but there's useful things that can be done with large amounts of thin film.

Thin film is something like 5 to 6 watts per square foot and Poly is on the order of 12.5 watts (about twice) watts per square foot. So ... if 46.4KW of thin film is going to bury a small town, 46.4KW of poly or mono will bury a hamlet. Or village. Or large subdivision. Which is not at all the case -- I could probably put 46.4KW of poly in my garage, and 46.4KW of thin film in my garage and den ;)

excuse me?
    how is it such a deal to have to buy that much in pv before they give you a break?
    as far as hating thin film, i do not hate them, so be careful on your judgments of me just because i don't believe that to be a deal.
  • tallgirl
    excuse me?
    how is it such a deal to have to buy that much in pv before they give you a break?

I figure it's like everything else that's not all that expensive -- what's the point in giving a break on something that doesn't cost all that much? The margins are vanishingly thin and likely the only way they can make a profit is on volume.
    as far as hating thin film, i do not hate them, so be careful on your judgments of me just because i don't believe that to be a deal.

I didn't say you =hate= thin-film. "Hate up" and "hate on" is like "dis" or "disrespect". Saying that 46.4KW would bury a village makes you a "hater" ;)
  • niel
    tallgirl wrote: »
    I figure it's like everything else that's not all that expensive -- what's the point in giving a break on something that doesn't cost all that much? The margins are vanishingly thin and likely the only way they can make a profit is on volume.

I didn't say you =hate= thin-film. "Hate up" and "hate on" is like "dis" or "disrespect". Saying that 46.4KW would bury a village makes you a "hater" ;)

yea whatever. pretty fuzzy, or is that twisted?, logic on your part for sure. let us know when you take advantage of the deal and tell us about how much you saved and show us pics of when you get them all mounted at your place.:roll::p
  • tallgirl
    yea whatever. pretty fuzzy, or is that twisted?, logic on your part for sure. let us know when you take advantage of the deal and tell us about how much you saved and show us pics of when you get them all mounted at your place.:roll::p

It's street slang, not fuzzy or twisted logic.

It's all of about 7,000 square feet worth of panels, by shirt-sleeve math. Even the postage-stamp sized lots in my subdivision are larger than that ...

And for what it's worth, I've got a client doing a 40KW install later this fall, so it isn't like I don't know people who could use that many in one go.