Proper inverter choice

We have an oceanside cabin in Mexico. We produce 170 watts from two two year old Kyocera panels. We use 4 golf cart batteries, wired to accept and produce 12 DCV. We need to replace the inverter with a modified sine wave inverter producing 1000-1500 continuous 120 ACV, with surge of 2000-3000 120 ACV.
We have, in the past, used old Heart inverters but the last one gave up the ghost last month. We bought an inexpensive 1250/2500 replacement which works well but the cooling fans run continuously. With the old Hearts we left them on 24/7/365, even though we only use the cabin sporadically in the spring and fall. We were told to do so to keep it producing a slight amount of heat as protection from the salt water humidity which also is present 24/7/365. This worked fine with the Hearts but I do not want to do the same with our present replacement for fear that the fan motor/s will not be able to withstand continuous use.
We need to identify, purchase and install a suitable inverter which, if it has fans, the fans only turn on when needed so we can leave the inverter on continuously for the reason stated above.
What suggestions do you have for a modestly priced inverter which will fulfill our needs, and where could we buy it at the best price. All recommendations will be greatfully received. Thank you, PBH

Comments

• nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Re: Proper inverter choice
    p_hammond wrote: »
    We have an oceanside cabin in Mexico. We produce 170 watts from two two year old Kyocera panels. We use 4 golf cart batteries, wired to accept and produce 12 DCV. We need to replace the inverter with a modified sine wave inverter producing 1000-1500 continuous 120 ACV, with surge of 2000-3000 120 ACV.
    We have, in the past, used old Heart inverters but the last one gave up the ghost last month. We bought an inexpensive 1250/2500 replacement which works well but the cooling fans run continuously. With the old Hearts we left them on 24/7/365, even though we only use the cabin sporadically in the spring and fall. We were told to do so to keep it producing a slight amount of heat as protection from the salt water humidity which also is present 24/7/365. This worked fine with the Hearts but I do not want to do the same with our present replacement for fear that the fan motor/s will not be able to withstand continuous use.
    We need to identify, purchase and install a suitable inverter which, if it has fans, the fans only turn on when needed so we can leave the inverter on continuously for the reason stated above.
    What suggestions do you have for a modestly priced inverter which will fulfill our needs, and where could we buy it at the best price. All recommendations will be greatfully received. Thank you, PBH

If you don't need a charger the Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 2000W True Sinewave Inverter might be worth looking at. I have it in my setup and so far it's been solid.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/297/p/1/pt/29/product.asp

4487359408_7f21255a1a.jpg
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Re: Proper inverter choice

I installed a ProWatt 2000 like Nsaspook has but had to remove it as it wasn't up to the power requirements I needed. It only has a continuous rating of 1800w, and I was able to run it at 1850w continuously, but it'd trip offline when I'd add 100w to that (lights, some fluorescent, but certainly within the surge rating). I replaced it with a Magnum 2800w even tho I didn't need the charging capability. (power was for most lights, entertainment, and the Sanyo mini-split I installed a year ago.)

And that ProWatt 2000 moved to our RV, replacing a ProSine 1000w, so now we can use the microwave when we are boondocking! So no wasted inverter there.

I have an old Heart Interface that was replaced by another Magnum but it's too heavy to ship (83 pounds w/o packing). I had installed a Kenmore fridge and felt it necessary to move to pure sine. If you are in the area I'd make you a heck of a deal 'cause it's just sitting in the garage. Ours too was just "on" for years and never even hiccuped.

Phil