Watt Meter for Hard-Wired Well Pumps

Options
mjp24coho
mjp24coho Solar Expert Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
Anyone know of a watt meter that can be used to measure wattage for well pump? My well pump is hard-wired to my AC panel, but I'd like to find out exactly how many watts its consuming (in order to spec my solar system). However, all of the watt meters I've seen are designed to have the appliance plugged into the meter.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Watt Meter for Hard-Wired Well Pumps

SO for a one time reading you can use a clamp on amp meter.

Amps X Volts = Watts

You could get a data acquisition system like a TED5000 if you want long term profiling.
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options

I have seen folks use standard residential electrical utility meters hardwired into solar electric system just for an analog, total watts consumed inverter reading. i'm guessing you might be able to use one in line before your pump to measure it's consumption...can anyone else confirm my guess? i've seen them sell for much less than battery meters. try ebay or electric surplus outlets. i'll take a look and post a link if i find one.

Here's a link to some meters;
    http://www.meci.com/index.php/electrical/electric-meters.html
    I'm not sure...is it ok to post a link like this?
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

@James - That is what I have - a cheap single phase power meter in the circuit - think I paid about 20 USD for it and it has a RS485 connection - someday I plan to have a modbus loop to my various meters etc for remote reading.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

With the massive change out to digital meters--you should be able to get a used mechanical kWH meter real cheap and wire it into your pump system--Then you can log kWH per day/per month/etc... Those go for around $20 on EBay...

You could also look at the TED type home electronic meters. But, they don't seem to over VA/KVA readings...

For Amp readings, a clamp on AC current meter is probably the easiest to use for a quick set of peak/average current readings.

If anyone knows of a reasonably priced Kill-a-Watt functionality (watts, kWH, va/kva, amps, etc.) type meter that can be wired into the house wiring--post it here--I will add it to the FAQ.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mjp24coho
    mjp24coho Solar Expert Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks all - very helpful. I think I'll go forward with a clamp on amp meter.