XW 4024 Fault Under Voltage

John XW NY
John XW NY Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
Hi Guys,

I wonder why i keep getting low voltage fault warnings and sometime power cuttout when it is not even near the 24 volt lvd I set it to. Usually I am getting a reading of 24.9 volts on my SCP at the time it happens. My bank is .3 lower voltage reading than my system panel . Its kind of pissing me off because it happens a few hours after sundown( 2 hours approx.) Im usually not running over 1 kwh.
Any ideas.

I also think the inverters should be a little more advanced . For instance why isn't there a setting where the system will switch back to the grid without manually having to do it. The system should sense when the power is low in the bank and switch over and turn back on when the voltage increases. Makes more sense to me.
Also why isn't the inverter accurately reading the battery voltage. I think the technology should be there and that everything should be 100% dead on accurate.
Im not trying to be mean but it seems like people are making excuses for the solar companies. Jah Guide Respect8)

Comments

• John XW NY
    Re: XW 4024 Fault Under Voltage

I guess no one here knows what i am talking about then...
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You can try PM'ing Crewzer (Jim) directly... He is supporting the Schneider (Xantrex) XW/GT inverter line.

Xantrex GT and XW Support

Otherwise, is there a surge load/current that could be spiking the voltage below 24 volts for a few moments? And what temperature is the battery bank--From the earlier conversation, the XW inverter appears to display "compensated temperature".

I will agree that I would have liked to see "sense leads" used between the inverter/chargers/etc. that allowed them to measure exact battery bank voltage and not have to worry about cabling voltage drop/rise...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • John XW NY

Thats a good idea I will contact Xantrex and talk to them about it. I have also come to the conclusion that my battery bank is too small for what I need to do . Maybe if i can get another battery bank so I have two sets of 12 and that way the voltage should not drop . If the XW Inverter performs as it should. My main complain is that when the Inverter Faults Under Voltage F47 I believe that you have to manually clear the fault instead of the Inverter sensing that it can power back on again.

Anyway I live near Woodstock Ny and there is a guy up here on Mead Mt. who has a XW setup like mine 3.7 kw panels and he has 40 L-16 batteries and produces 20 kwh hour per day!!! He has a website where he logs his energy production.
    Obviously my bank is really too small and thats why I am only producing 7kwh!!!

Well at least im learning something useful here.. Thanks 4 the response, JOHN:D
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    John XW NY wrote: »
    Thats a good idea I will contact Xantrex and talk to them about it. I have also come to the conclusion that my battery bank is too small for what I need to do . Maybe if i can get another battery bank so I have two sets of 12 and that way the voltage should not drop . If the XW Inverter performs as it should. My main complain is that when the Inverter Faults Under Voltage F47 I believe that you have to manually clear the fault instead of the Inverter sensing that it can power back on again.

Anyway I live near Woodstock Ny and there is a guy up here on Mead Mt. who has a XW setup like mine 3.7 kw panels and he has 40 L-16 batteries and produces 20 kwh hour per day!!! He has a website where he logs his energy production.
    Obviously my bank is really too small and thats why I am only producing 7kwh!!!

Well at least im learning something useful here.. Thanks 4 the response, JOHN:D

Glad you listening to what both Xantrex and others on this board have been saying for some time.

Your battery bank is WAY undersized. At a minimum you will need 800ah ( at 24V ) if you intend to run the system at its rated power. I have 660ah ( 48V or ~1320ah if it was configured @24V which its not ) and that is the minimum for proper full power operation. This doesn't even get into what you need to power your loads when the PV is not producing
  • John XW NY

HEY SG I AGREE WITH YOU 2 , BUT NOBODY REALLY TOLD ME HERE B4 THAT I NEEDED MORE BATTERIES SO GO FIGURE. LOL:roll:
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    John XW NY wrote: »
    HEY SG I AGREE WITH YOU 2 , BUT NOBODY REALLY TOLD ME HERE B4 THAT I NEEDED MORE BATTERIES SO GO FIGURE. LOL:roll:

Wait a second! It looks like to me you have 1200 AH of S530's
    12 batteries correct?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Him, must have been mixed in my mind of another poster that keeps getting faults using a 100ah battery pack, 1200 ah @ 24V is good for gridtie, but I believe the OP is powering significant loads as well?