Great deal, how can we make them viable?

Options
rscott7706
rscott7706 Registered Users Posts: 4
Here is a great deal on panels, but a weird output voltage - 67 volts.

Kaneka Panels

Is the a way to invert a voltage like this?

Ron :cool:

Comments

• rscott7706
    rscott7706 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    Re: Great deal, how can we make them viable?

Disregard, I called them and they said they are sold out. I talked to them not four days ago and they had 1000 of them.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

67 volts (probably Vmp) would work fine with many MPPT charge controllers for 12 and 24 volt battery banks. These panels will probably not work with well with 48 volt battery banks in hot weather.

For Grid Tied inverters, you can use 4-5 modules per series string for a 200-600 VDC input inverter. But, because of their low wattage (60 watts rated), you will have to put a lot of parallel strings together (~12-16 or more parallel strings) to get rated power out of a 3.3 kW inverter.

At $0.98 per watt--that is a low price... I wonder how well the panels age over time. It looks like they derate the panels to 60 watts even though they output ~80 watts out of the box (allows them to give a 25 year 80% output warranty when rated at 60 watts).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

Same panels and price my neighbors in Miami have been selling for a few months

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=6616&highlight=sunelec
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Even though the kaneka panels are cheap, they weren,t cheap enough for me because. #1 With the low output of power the weight and size is nearly as much as panels that put out 3 times the power. #2 They look preety flimsy. #3 Not good for me because I needed to use polemounts and they get expensive too. I would have needed 3 times as maby pole mounts to get them mounted and would probably not had the room for them. If you look around you can get good quality solar panels that will be lots cheaper in long run by the time you get them up. S:Dlarvic