Gas refrigerator recommendation

solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
Thought I would give back to the forum, by recommending the Crystal Cold gas refrigerators.
Amazing units, 17 and 21 CF. Even here in Georgia I have to keep it turned down to prevent freezing in the box.

The cooling unit works amazingly well, but those of us that have used gas units through the years, know the cabinets were cheaply made, not the Crystals Cold, very well made, you can also get stainless steel.

I have had mine for 5 years.

Comments

• AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Re: Gas refrigerator recommendation

How much gas does it burn?
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    AntronX wrote: »
    How much gas does it burn?

Oh my memory is not that good, it should be on the site, my guess is a gallon a week, consumption is not much of a consideration for me, as options are nil.

It is "Amish" made, folks are nice to deal with. They started making them for people of their faith. I was a bit suspicious of the size. Always thought there was a bit of a limit to how large a gas frig could be, but they assured me they have units located in equatorial areas, especially for medicine storage.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Less than $175 per year based on $2.75 per gallon untaxed propane for the 17 from CC. One of my customers has been waiting to replace his with electric for over 15 years. They are, that good! When I was building my home, I am sure it saved me thousands by being able to bribe contractors to lower their price with a cold one! There is an extensive section in the forum here to read more BTW. I first saw the Crystal Colds while passing thru the Baja California deserts on my sailboat (anchored offshore). They work well down there and it is the hottest place in this hemisphere. IMHO There is maintenance that should be done but it is a great way to start a home and not have to worry about electricity. For someone building there own remote home it can make the wife acceptance factor move into the green zone!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

" I first saw the Crystal Colds while passing thru the Baja California deserts on my sailboat "

Must have been one of those "ships" of the desert!.

Seriously, Just to demonstrate how long lived gas fridges can be, we have a 40's vintage Kerosene fridge and a early 50's vintage Servel, that both work like new. We don't use either of them any more, but they still work!

T
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    " I first saw the Crystal Colds while passing thru the Baja California deserts on my sailboat "

Must have been one of those "ships" of the desert!.

Seriously, Just to demonstrate how long lived gas fridges can be, we have a 40's vintage Kerosene fridge and a early 50's vintage Servel, that both work like new. We don't use either of them any more, but they still work!

T

Yes a ship of the desert! I did say anchored offshore I thought...It definately cooks down there! I am use to the heat and when I was down there I was wiith a group of Canadians. I do not think I ever saw them in anything but thin shorts the whole time. When you get south into the tropics it cools down alot with the daily afternoon thunderstorms. Most only the servels and CC's work in that stuff.
    Even the RV's have trouble in the sun and have to build shade if they want ice.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I hate the heat! Give me -30C over +30C any day. I figure (within reason) that you can always get warm by adding layers, but once your naked,,,there's no more cooling. Now that I think of it,, don't want to go there! LOL.

T